Bueno


Advertisement
Published: May 5th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Day 15
The journey to BA was a beast but was mostly overnight so it wasn't too bad. We got told food was included so we didn't take any on and by about 8 we were absolutley starving. Hours kept passing until it hit about half 11 and we finally stopped. We were expecting to have to get out and buy food but we got led into a little cafe in the bus depot and only got a bloody 3 course meal with drinks. Had to wolf it down though cos we were only stopping for half an hour but it was still proper bo. They even had Argetinian Strictly Come Dancing on a big screen, good prep for our mean Tango moves.

Day 16
Arrived about lunch time and went for a potter about in Palermo where we were staying. Ended up in a bar watching the Man U Barca match and munching on a pizza. We also sank a litre of red wine. When in Rome.
Went back to the hostel planning a little nap but ended up waking up at about 11. Still, not a problem, bobbed to a restaurant down the road and ordered a steak for me and some pasta and sauce for Claire for a change. When the food came the steak was the size of a boat and came with and bath of mash. It was about the size of 3 filet steaks in England and i only managed to stumble through just over half. Very embarrassing in front of all the locals as he took away basically a whole meal with half the mash left. Still, time for improvement in that department.

Day 17
Went to watch the Chelsea Liverpool game in the day cos Claire wouldn't stop talking about it, and then at 6 went to our little Tango lesson. There was only 1 more beginner so we got plenty of attention. Unfortunately it was a girl so i was up dancing for 2 hours with the girls taking turns, trying to concentrate and remember the moves. The man has to lead as well so there was no getting dragged along. Absolutley shattered by the end but still got all the basics down to a tee to pull out when we get back home.
We went to see how the pros do it afterwards at a tango show which was really good. That was after I'd had a steak and Claire had had some pasta of course.

Day 18
Colly B turned up so we went up to Caminito, a little area in Boca with pretty colourful houses and people trying to rinse the tourists dressed in Tango gear. Walked from there down by the Dock in Puerto Madero which is the posh bit of the city and had loads of pricey restaurnats and bars.
Went back for a power nap then had a few drinks at the hostel and went out for dinner at about 11. Boys hit more steaks and then went to a club and danced the night away with a few red wines.

Day 19
Had a lie in and slept off the wine and then went up to Recoleta cemetery to try and find Evita's grave. Failed miserably but its an amazing place with spectacular family graves and monuments so was still good. Pottered around Recoleta and then went out for dinner with James and Alice, some ozzies Col had met along the way. Finally got a steak down Claire's neck and had a beast of a meal at a place called Desnivels.

Day 20
Went to a shopping centre in town with a prety roof and then wandered around Recoleta to see the market and a massive metal rose that opens at sunrise and closes at sunset. It happened pretty slow though so we didn't hang around to watch. Then went for more steaks and back to the hostel with some drinky poos. Planned to go out but ended up just sittin in our room playing cards and boozing until 4 when we realised we were all pretty sloshed and it was time for bed.

Day 21
Up to go and get tickets for the Boca Juniors - River Plate game. Managed to get some off a guy in a cafe and piled into the stadium two at a time through the turnstiles. Sat and watched the youth teams play in some amazing seats, thinkin we'd hit the jackpot, then just before the main game people turned up with tickets for the seats. We didn't have anything so had to go and sit on the stairs and watch, which were pretty much the same as the seats anyway, jsut slabs of concrete. The atmosphere was incredible, even better than the Maracana in Rio and Boca won the game 1-0 so the fans were going berserk, lighting flares and jumping up on the fences. As the River fans left they lit a few fires in the stand and ripped off some seats and threw them at the Boca fans below. All very funny to watch as we were up in the higher tiers.
Ended the day with the monster steaks we had on the first night, this time between 2 of us, and got an early night.



Advertisement



Tot: 0.515s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 56; dbt: 0.2628s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb