Phillip Pasta


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Misiones » Puerto Iguazú
April 27th 2008
Published: April 27th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Day 7

Nese! Nese! Nese!

Went to see the footy at the Maracana between Fluminese and Botafogo. It was the cup final so all was a bit mental. We were in the Fluminese end as we went with the owner of the hostel who is a big fan. There were flags and flares and drums banging way before the start of the match, better than anything the Brits have got to offer, apart from the mighty Darlo of course, nothing like 4000 in a 25000 capacity. Anyway, great game, the atmosphere was immense, but ´Nese lost 1-0 even though Botofogo had a man sent off. Poop.
We rounded the evening off with the favela ela ela funk party. Got on a little bus like the good little tourists and got escorted into a massive club in one of the local favelas. Rocked out to some funky beats and drank some cheap beers (even Claire) and left about 5am ready for our 8am start to head to Ilha Grande.

Day 8
Managed to haul ourselves out of bed and make the bus and ferry journey to Ilha Grande, an island off the coast of Rio. Nice to be out the city, and all ready for an expler tomoro after shaking off the favela funk.

Day 9
Kicked back on a lovely little beach near the hostel, nice and quiet and was good just to relax without thinking someone was trying to have your bag away. Got mentally prepared for the next days hike to the other side of the island to a famous beach, Lopes Mendes, that everyone was chirping about…didn´t want to pay the 3 pound each boat journey did we, no thanks!

Day 10
Up at the crack of dawn to bob through the jungle for 3 hours. Turned out it was quite a trek, lots of ups and downs and very slippery and muddy cos of recent rain. We´d prepared perfectly though with our boardies and vests on so it was fine. Made it all the way to the beach before Tomato decided to have a little slip and hit the deck. The wet clay went all over, cut my hand and all my girlie would do was have a little Barry chuckle. Stink. We passed two other beaches before we reached Lopes Mendes but on arrival weren’t sure if we were there or not. Turns out, not that special, too big, too many big waves and full of tourists. We had a drink then went straight back to the one earlier on called Pouso which was much smaller and quieter and sat there all day havin a swim and a read and generally kickin back. Had to leave at about 3 mind so we got back before it got dark in the jungle. Hmmm.
Bumped into some of our buddies from the favela funk in the evening so had some beers with them and tried to persuade them the cross island hike was the way forward. Not interested. One of them was particularly reminiscent of Barry Chuckle. Funny. Where was Paul?

Day 11
Monster trip to Iguazu Falls. This involved a ferry, a 7 hour bus journey to Sao Paolo and a 15 bus journey to Foz de Iguazu. The time between the two buses was half an hour so we were a little apprehensive as to whether we´d make it but the 7 hour bus arrived on the dot and we hopped on without any bother.
Day 12
Went straight to the Falls on the Brazilian side as soon as we arrived as you only need a half day to do it. Was really good, more of an overview of the falls compared to the Argie side where you can get a bit closer in.

Day 13
Crossed the border and went straight to the falls and spent the whole day there. Was all really good, I turned into a Chinese again, snapping at will and we had a lovely day. Went on a little boat ride which we though would get us up close to the falls for some good pics but turned out to be a little motorboat which just hoyed you straight in as quick as you like ad absolutely soaked you. The Argentinian morons were lapping it up, clapping and chanting ´more more more´. Me and Baldy were crouched over trying to keep our laps dry. As we got off we realised why people were just in their swimsuits and trunks. We had our nice gear on. Took 1 photo. Merked.

Day 14
Having a relaxing day at the hostel as its really good, has a pool and loads of stuff to do and we´re ready for a little break. Just watched the Prix and saw Heikki get his head taken off. Napped for the rest of it. Found out that Massa in Portuguse means pasta. That means Felipe Massa´s name in English is Phillip Pasta. Exotic.
Off to Buenos Aires tomorrow on another big journey but looking forward to hitting some tango moves and eating ten big fat steaks for a quid.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.324s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0776s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb