My Surfing Christmas Trip


Advertisement
Oceans and Seas
December 18th 2016
Published: December 18th 2016
Edit Blog Post

When we think of Christmas the first things that come to our mind are snow, warm cup of tea, skiing, snowboarding and other winter activities that we enjoy. But unless you are spending your Christmas somewhere in the mountains you will probably end up stuck in the city filled with nervous people, bad weather, and wet streets.

To avoid all of this I have decided to visit tropical destinations and try surfing this Christmas. I know it’s not conventional for this part of the year, but still, I managed to visit amazing places on my travel. Without further ado, here are, in my opinion, best locations if you want to catch a wave on Christmas.

Honolulu and Oahu, Hawaii




Hawaii is well-known for their surfing culture and great waves. From small baby waves for beginners to big ones for more experienced surfers, Hawaii offers everything. If you ask me Honolulu is a great place to learn surfing. Besides amazing instructors, there are waves that anyone can tame. Here you will learn to stand up and balance on the board with ease. After you have mastered the basics you can go to some more serious spots and try to ride bigger waves.

Probably the most famous one is Pipeline on Oahu’s North Shore . A lot of competitions are held here, so keep in mind that this spot is no joke. When I didn’t surf, I went to local bars and hung around people. Hawaiians are very pleasant people so you will surely have no problem socializing and having all-around good time.

Barbados




Barbados is the spot for Christmas surfing. Between December and February, Barbados gets some of the best waves in the world. Strong winds ensure that at this time of the year east coast of the island always has waves to ride on. The temperature of the water is around 24 degrees Celsius at this time of the year, so it will be perfect for swimming and surfing. But if you want to make sure you are not cold bring a wetsuit and you won’t feel a chill even in ice water.

Additionally, I didn’t previously talk about surfing equipment, but for all beginners, you will need at least a surfboard. Wetsuit and other surfing equipment are completely optional. I had the best experience with Channel Islands surfboards. All their products are of the highest quality and you won’t have any problems with them. With reliable and durable surfboard you will learn surfing in no time.

Fuerteventura, North Shore, Canary Islands




There is a surfing spot on all Canary Islands, but I have visited only the North Shore. This place is best experienced if you go exploring. Pack your surfing board and other equipment you need and start exploring the coastline. There are spots with waves of all sizes, so regardless of what your surfing skills are you will find one for your level. If you don’t want to explore, then make sure to visit The Bubble if you are a veteran surfer, and Majanicho or Generoso if you are beginning to learn how to surf.

Also, you can enlist in one of many surfing trips that local companies provide if you don’t want to do any planning. One last thing that you should know is that surfing in the Canary Islands is done early in the morning. This way you will catch the best waves and avoid strong winds that come sometime after noon.



That is all from me. I had a really great time and the climate change did me good. At moments it was strange to celebrate Christmas in warm weather, but I got used to it pretty fast. Cocktail instead of tea and waves instead of snow is a great exchange in my opinion.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.368s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 8; qc: 39; dbt: 0.062s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb