France from a different angle


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France
November 17th 2016
Published: November 17th 2016
Edit Blog Post

The first that comes to mind upon hearing the word France is most frequently Paris or stunning French Riviera, widely known as the Cote d’Azur. Indeed, its remarkable cultural repertoire, world-famous authentic cuisine, marvelous landscape and iconic landmarks make it a world top destination for millions of tourists around the globe. Nevertheless, this amazing country abounds with many other beautiful hidden places that most people are not even aware of. From glorious white-sand beaches along the Atlantic in Bordeaux and incredible mountainous landscape in the glorious Alps to small adorable towns in the south of France and almost unreachable fairy-tale castles, there are plenty of sights that will simply leave you breathless. Here are a few awe-inspiring secret spots in France that will sweep you off your feet.

Cargese, Corsica



Cargese, a small charming town known as “the Greek village”, is located in the western end of Corsica, near Porto. It is a coastal town which special appeal lies in a picturesque landscape, magnificent Latin and Greek churches and lovely house vegetable gardens. Not only does it boast an interesting history and well-preserved traditions but it also includes a few eye-catching beaches and a number of fine-dining restaurants. Ultimately, it is the perfect place for anybody who wants to escape a hustle and bustle of a modern life and enjoy some peace and quiet.

Mont- Saint-Michel, Normandy



Undoubtedly, one of the most stunning sights situated on the point where Brittany and Normandy merge is a mesmerizing island the Mont-Saint-Michel. Rising dramatically from the sea it forms a majestic tower in the heart of the bay which is well-known for Europe’s highest tides. A medieval church built on the top of the island is a marvelous sight that has been attracting the visitors from different parts of the world and has been the major pilgrimage for many centuries. As for the transport facilities, there are shutter buses that can take you from a car-park to the mount and they operate on a daily basis.

Peillon, Cote d’Azur



Peillion is an exquisite perched village located only 20 km north of Nice which has been attracting considerable interest among many tourists. Since only pedestrians are welcome here, you can explore its winding beautiful streets and a collection of grayish stone houses on foot. On top of the village there is an 18th century church which includes Romanesque chapel of the 12th century. What makes this small village a unique place is the absence of cafes, gift shops and restaurants which undoubtedly adds to its authenticity.

Carcassone, Languedoc-Roussillon Region



Located in the South of France, Carcassone is a medieval fortified city that offers a fascinating tourist experience. With its well-maintained cobblestone streets, spiky turrets and atmospheric buildings and squares it is a truly magical sight reminiscent of a story from a children’s fairy tale book. Indeed, it has been an inspiration for the setting of many movies featuring medieval castles and the most famous one is the Disney’s “Sleeping Beauty”. Apart from indulging in its marvelous landscape, you can taste some of its best-quality wines in typically French bars and cafes in “La Cite” citadel. The easiest way to experience this majestic town is to go on one of the exciting Enchante barge cruises and then take a tour throughout the city. It has been protected by a UNESCO World Heritage since 1997 and has become a major tourist attraction that should be on everybody’s top of the list when visiting France.

Etretat, Upper Normandy Region



Finally, if you want to treat your senses with a genuine natural beauty visit a unique Etretat in the Upper Normandy. Its extraordinarily shaped white cliffs and three arches are easily accessible and can be seen from boardwalk and a white sun-drenched beach. A famous French impressionist painter Claude Monet painted this wonder of nature in the 19th century.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.411s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0833s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb