Going local in Acapulco


Advertisement
Oceans and Seas » Pacific
January 21st 2011
Published: January 21st 2011
Edit Blog Post

Going Local in Acapulco

After being warned off about drug dealers and certain doom of being mugged as we step off the ship we still decided not to do a P&O tour! We thought, well how bad can Mexico be? After getting off the ship and having the obligatory sombrero picture taken by the photographers we battled through the ranks of pushy taxi and tour drivers. Finally finding our way to the main road we crossed escorted by armed tourist police. It was at this point we realized we needed to keep the camera ready as we missed the photo opportunity of a large black truck carrying a group of police/soldiers standing in the back, dressed in black bullet proof gear. All facing outwards heavily armed with automatic weapons, wow just like the news reports back home! As we proceeded we kinda began to get used to the obligatory policeman on every block with a M16 assault rifle, nice to think they care about our security. That said, once we started to wander about all the sights (and smells) soon removed any fear and overall we never felt threated and found the Mexicans a laid back friendly lot. Of course us Gringos stand out like a sore thumb and they're keen to not miss a selling/ fleecing opportunity if you show just a passing interest. Local quality craft was abundant and I am afraid we succombed a larger quantity than our suitcases may allow. One particular leather shop attracted Nigels attention with a most fantastic collection of Mexican style cowboy boots you are ever likely to see in one place. Just a pity Nigel could not find a goood excuse to buy some, not even for a bit of posing on the Harley! The day was passed just general wandering about which took us to the Mirador hotel and a superb view of the famous cliff divers. Unfortunately our camera was not good enough to capture the spectacular swallow dives but picture attached just to show how crazy the whole idea is. We made it safe and sound back to the ship to hear stories of how wonderful and shiny the designer shops were on the other side of the bay, and no, we are not impressed by the fact that the rich and famous used to live in a particular house many years ago. Anyway a spectacular sailaway and you can see why the rich and famous were initially drawn to such a stunning bay.

On the final countdown now in the three day run to San Francisco where sadly we will be getting off Arcadia. The cruise has been fantastic and we have met some lovely people. Maybe another update before we disembark. We have a busy couple of days now preparing ourselves for two major special meals for the next two evenings – hard work but someone has to do it!

Have seen the proofs of the wedding pictures (at last) and are expecting to get the album tomorrow.

Bye for now
Love from Edina & Nigel


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.038s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0202s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1005.3kb