Whale watching


Advertisement
Oceans and Seas » Pacific
January 19th 2011
Published: January 19th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Heading for Acapulco

Two days of chilling out and have found another hobby, whale watching. The sea was incredibly calm yesterday and looked more like treacle than water. The picture of the reflection of the ship in the water is amazing considering we are speeding along at abour 23 knots. Staring at the sea like this we were then staggered to see a turtle floating by. Spurred on by this we spent about an hour and a half with our Australian friends transfixed by the sea. We were rewarded with countless flying fish, two more turtles, pods (I think that may be the collective noun) of Dolphins/Porpoise some rather large fish jumping out of the water, I think being pursued by said Dolphins and to top the lot a sighting of a whale! Today we have had to settle for flying fish and four turtles, but the day is not over yet :-)

Views from one of the wi-fi spots are attached, you will note that they dont look much like your normal internet cafe and are particularly quiet. Not sure where the other 2000 passengers are at the moment. Some of the more picky customers moan about the poor quality of the ship but perhaps we have lived sheltered lives because as far as we are concerned this is pretty good. Maybe that whale out there could be tempted in a little closer if we used one of these passengers as bait, second thoughts maybe a bit sour even for their palette! Fortunately these passengers are few and far between on this cruise and we are having a really jolly time and probably our most sociable cruise so far.

Our Ozzie friends challenged us to a ozzieburger lunch date today and Nigel not being one to refuse a challenge we met and put away a burger with: coleslaw,cheese,beetroot,cucumber,shredded carrot, tomato sauce and mustard. They were upset that we could not track down a fried egg and a pineapple ring to top it off. However we are now considered honorary Ozzies as a result of this! Nigel and Darren have a evening stand off when ordering the meal to see who can hang on to the most cutlery (having ordered the most courses). At the moment its a bit of a draw!!!

Will update more after Acapulco. ... think it must be time for afternoon tea now leaving a few hours rest before hitting the bar for some more people watching games, and of course more food! In case you are wondering, we do fit in other random things apart from eating.

Love from Nigel & Edina


Advertisement



20th January 2011

Acupolco
At least the ship web cam is working. It was interesting to watch the entry to Acupolco as well as the docking procedure. Love DD xxxxxxx
20th January 2011

First time on this blog, now we have a link that works!
We are very pleased for you both, it looks like you are the chosen 'ones' with the special dinner invite with the captain who tested your sea legs at the start of the voyage....or was it an apology for his rusty skipper-ship? We will look forward to seeing your photos when you get back to blighty, happy sailing, David & Pauline

Tot: 0.061s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0302s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1021.2kb