Escape from the Arctic


Advertisement
Oceans and Seas » Caribbean
January 7th 2018
Published: January 7th 2018
Edit Blog Post

Escape from the Arctic



Arrived on time at the FLL airport where chaos reined. So many flights were delayed leaving that the corridors were teeming with people and bags. Decided to take a taxi which was a good call as some folks waited 45 minutes for the hotel shuttle. This was my least favorite BW hotel in the area but also the cheapest.



Heading to the ship was a kerfufle. It was about 50 degrees and raining and the entire hotel was gathered with their luggage in the tiny lobby waiting for transportation to the ship. There were seven ships in port and so it took 1 1/2 hours to get to the port and through the embarkation process. Dropped our valuables in the room safe and headed to the Lido for lunch. Unlike my last cruise on this ship, it was really, really crowded with folks of all ages trying to get away from winter. There were even kiddies the pool and hot tub. We explored the ship until dinner and met our table mates. Joan and Tom from PA and Pat and Jim from CA.



The ship was late sailing and the seas off FL were kind of rough. Our table is in the stern and we felt the motion. Now I’m a happy camper as I love to feel that I’m really at sea. We opted for the late sailing and after dinner headed to the Show Room for a preview of what to expect in the way of shows. Pretty much the usual mix of song and dance, comedy etc. Watching the dancers trying to keep their balance on the moving stage was like watching tightrope walkers. With few missteps they made it through the evening without falling off the stage of dropping their partners.



Thursday morning I awoken from a dead sleep to room service knocking at the door. I’m not used to staying up at night so this will be a new experience.



A typical day at sea….CruseCritic Meet & Greet, lunch, Trivia (we didn’t win), dueling piano salute to the Beetles, Happy Hour, nap time, dinner and the show, a comic that was pretty good

Friday dawned cloudy and rainy. I said dawn but actually it was almost 10 when I finally rolled out of bed. Amazing that the coffee, delivered at 7:30 was still hot. Dressed and headed to the Lido for breakfast/lunch/brunch. Had Asian Kung Pao Chicken, Asian noodles and fried rice.

Then Trivia where we answered 50% correctly. Sad.



Headed to the show room for a talk with the Captain and Hotel Manager, then afternoon tea and Happy Hour. Now the skies are clear and I am on the verandah watching the waves. The swells are twenty feet high



My roommate Bev and I are enjoying each other company. We are comparable and enjoy many of the same things.



Just watched an albatross dive into the ocean for dinner. Soon our dinner time will come, our first of two formal nights. No diving for dinner for us. We have some lovely young adults aboard so the fashion show should be good.



Since Yahoo and Att divorced I am having trouble with e-mail and that concerns me given the weather at home. I know Joe is smart but I still worry.





And so the days go by. Tomorrow our first port, Sint Martin,

Advertisement



Tot: 0.08s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 33; dbt: 0.0531s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb