Funchal


Advertisement
Portugal's flag
Europe » Portugal » Madeira » Funchal
October 16th 2017
Published: October 16th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Funchal



At our last port we had the most fun. We overnighted here and the weather was perfect. The view from our verandah was lovely and we could watch the sun rise over the mountains.



Our adventure took us high in mountains. The roads were narrow and winding with very steep drops to the valley below. Anyone with vertigo was in real trouble. Even I had to look away once or twice, especially when we passed another bus coming our way. Our first stop was a resort on a mountain peak where we could sample cake and a local liquor and, of course buy, buy, buy. They had a display of Madeira going back at far as 1880. They were not priced but I could just imagine what it might cost. This area is a hikers delight with trails leading off in all directions. Browsing, I saw a really cute pair of lizards, repeated my mantra, Subtract, don’t Add and bought them anyway. I knew I would regret it if I didn't. Our next stop was the village of Monte where we visited an old church. This was the very place that finally did my knee in on my last visit. Now I was able to negotiate the streets without pain but with extra care. A fall on this surface would be dreadful.



The path to the church was strewn with flowers that had been swept into little piles. Thankfully there was a hand rail to cling to. The views from here were spectacular with our ship looking like a toy on the shore.



Next was the highlight of the tour. A basket ride down the mountain. It’s not a drastic as it might seem but it was a fun ride. This was the way people would get down to Funchal in the long ago past. Each basket sled is controlled by two men who guild it and add brakes as necessary. There are 54 of these guys all dressed in white with straw boaters. They take 27 sleds down, then when they are all at the bottom, the sleds and the drivers are bussed up to the top and they do it all over again.



Our turn came and we started slowly down and soon were picking up speed, sliding down the slate smooth street between stone walls and interspersed with drainage ditches and grates. It was a really fun ride.





Back on board we each slipped into our routine and watch as our final port of call slipped into the distance. Now we have seven glorious see days to enjoy.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.056s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0375s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1mb