A Ruby day at sea


Advertisement
Oceans and Seas » Atlantic » Atlantis
September 23rd 2013
Published: June 22nd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 78.3161, -95.9216

The Captain assured us that once we left Greenland heading towards Newfoundland the sea would be OK. Not so! The Captain lied! We had a choppy night at sea. However it was not as bad as the force 10 gale and after a few drinks who knew! The weird thing is that I get the "sailors legs" and feel as though I am swaying when I am back on land and am relatively straight on board!

It was our Ruby Wedding Anniversary on the 22nd September (40 years!!!). We had found a group of people we got on well with so arranged a table at dinner with the 8 of us. The Crew came up trumps and did a song and cake presentation at the end of dinner and lots of wine and champagne were consumed. Back in our suite later we found balloons and a card from our butler- very thoughtful. We will definitely celebrate something special aboard a cruise ship again.

The day after started out cloudy and then some sun appeared. Now there is fog on the horizon. We are in the area where the Humboldt Current from the Arctic comes down and meets the Gulf Stream coming up. Where the hot and cold currents meet fog is produced. I attended a lecture this morning about all the disasters that have occurred in this area- very depressing! Numerous hips have collided with each other in the fog or with icebergs (Titanic!) Aircraft have gone down and submarines sunk in this area. At the moment it is looking OK and now we have decent radar etc. – I hope.

To make everyone cheer up the bar staff did a cocktail competition before lunch which was good fun. Lunch was excellent and not just because we were well oiled before we had it. Crab timbale; spinach and stilton soup followed by goose- bliss. Rodger the wine waiter kindly left the bottle of Australian Shiraz on the table for me- I guess he realized he was forever rushing back and forth topping up my glass so this was the easiest option.

Have to get a move on now as the Trivia quiz is due. We go up and down winning one day and losing the next. There are some very bright people aboard. Have saved all the answers to the daily quiz which we have only won once so far and that was on the Human Body! Doh! Guess what our Xmas guests are being inflicted with?


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



23rd September 2013

Glad you had a great celebration. Congratulations and well done! Love D & B
23rd September 2013

you both look so happy .... such awesome pictures ... glad you had a great day and once again you should be proud of having reached such a milestone ... not many people do nowadays ... big hug and keep the posts coming xxx

Tot: 0.049s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0302s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1020.6kb