Small corner of Newfoundland


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada
September 24th 2013
Published: June 22nd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 48.9502, -57.9495

As per usual we were behind schedule and so arrived in Cornerbrook, Newfoundland just after lunch instead of early in the morning. The delay had been due to fog which had slowed our speed. Mother Nature has certainly intervened frequently on this trip. It was drizzly and rainy when we arrived but brightened up later and the sun came out in the afternoon. Most passengers went on one of the tours around the island. We took a taxi up the hill to Captain Cook's monument from which there are good views of the river and the town. Apparently Captain Cook honed all his cartographic skills while he was here. There are walks to do from here but we did not have that much time so we walked down the hill back towards town. The houses are more presentable than in Greenland and the area looks to be wealthier. There is a very large paper mill by the port which continually belches out clouds of steam over the city, which must be an odd sight to get used to.It started to rain so at the bottom of the hill we called in a bar for a beer and chatted to the locals. Once it stopped raining we walked around the town and back to the ship. To be honest there was very little to see so I think those on the tour buses would have had a better idea of Newfoundland but they were late back to the ship. Had we thought about it we could have taken our taxi around the island and it would have cost us 75 Canadian dollars which would have been much cheaper than the 100 USA dollars per person the ship was charging and would not have taken so long.


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement



25th September 2013

Cornerbrook???? Not St.John's? Rip off. Far more to see in St.John's.The good news is that the forecast is for the current fabulous weather to continue through the weekend in Montreal - to where I'm headed this evening.Travel safely - ha
ve fun - and make sure that that Captain gets you to Montreal on schedule!
27th September 2013

It has not changed since we were there 40 years ago!

Tot: 0.056s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0368s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb