Einasleigh River to Woodleigh Station


Advertisement
Oceania
July 2nd 2016
Published: July 11th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Einasleigh to Woodleigh Station.
'Einasleigh River is in the Ethridge Shire Council which stretches out over vast formations of Volcanic rock.
A slow morning as we were unable to book ourselves in on the Undara Lava Tubes tour until 1pm.
Packing up and getting out of another sand bog we took the road to Mount Surprise at 0946hrs, odometer 94698 kms, temperature 20 degrees celsius. We stopped for coffee and to check out the small Saturday Market. Here we purchased some locally made preserves.
Mount Surprise is so called because it is where the Leichardt exploration team and an aboriginal tribe both got a surprise when they encountered each other, both parties running in opposite directions. Mount Surprise is a centre for gem fossicking with topaz, quartz and garnet gemstones found in the nearby O'Briens Creek. At Mt Surprise we had a chat with some bicycle riders who were riding for prostate cancer.
Slowly moving on we drove the 55kilometres to Undara.
Undara is an aboriginal word for 'a long way' and the lava flow that formed the tubes at Undara are 160 kilometres long. The longest in the world. Ancient roof collapses have created deep impressions in the tubes allowing rainforest plants and animals to thrive in a unique ecosystem.
We ate lunch in the day car park using the surrounding granite rock as table and chairs, then paid for the very very expensive tour.
Catching a bus from the Undara Experience Centre, we were educated on the history of the area and how the Collins family the owners of the property had to give their pastoral lands to the government for National Park in the 1980,s, however maintaining the lava tubes and caravan area for tourism.
The lava tubes visit was and great experience and an amazing phenomenon. Large caves with rain forest in the surrounds.
In return to our place of departure we had a cup of tea and departed for Inott Springs, thermal pools, not as large as Mataranka.
On arrival to Innot Springs at 1710hrs, we found the caravan park reception closed and the hotel the place of enquire. The lady at the hotel very rude and unable to answer our question of whether a site was available. After a 10 minute wait, we pushed on.
Not far up the road was a wonderful farm stay, Woodleigh Station. A much cheaper and better place to stay as it worked out.
We set up camp near the homestead the kelpies and their masters returned from mustering and the kids played ball with them. After dark the kelpies went to bed and we were guarded by maremma dogs who were also guarding the goats and cattle. A simple dinner of pasta and we settled down for the night around 2100hrs.
The maremma dog had a loud bark, which kept us up half the night. They particularly liked Tom and his swag, sleeping on top of him some of the night.


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement



Tot: 0.193s; Tpl: 0.031s; cc: 12; qc: 67; dbt: 0.0972s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb