Dunedin - It's all about the birds


Advertisement
Oceania
March 24th 2012
Published: March 24th 2012
Edit Blog Post

We got to sleep in and started our day with a relaxing breakfast. Our guide with Monarch tours picked us up at the hotel around 1030am. We made our way up the Otago Peninsula and bird watching along the way. The morning fog had not burned off yet so it felt like we were driving in the clouds. Our guide pointed out several bird species including: Black Swan, Paradise Shell Ducks, Kingfisher, Pukeko, Spoonbill, Oystercatcher , and Black Backed Gull. We used binoculars to view some of them. This was Allison's first time to use binoculars - she did well using the "noculars".

Our first stop was the Royal Albatross Centre. The world's only mainland breeding colony. We saw a short movie to learn about the Albatross, then ventured uphill (as usual) to view the birds. We were able to see 1 chick very well, but no adult birds were to be seen. It was still pretty interesting.

We had a quick lunch at the centre and motored to the privately owned Yellow-Eyed Penguin colony. This place was really cool. Trenches were built with viewing areas to watch the penguins undisturbed. So these trenches are winding all over the hillside above the beach (South Pacific Ocean). Trenches are dug into the ground about 4 feet and covered with arching green plastic and military camouflage netting. We cruised around through these trenches to various viewing areas. The penguins are currently molting. We are told the lay around for about 4 weeks while they wait for new feathers. The penguin society is very interesting. They prefer to find a mate for life and to be isolated from others couples/families. They live about 20years. The young ones leave home and do not necessarily come back to the same beach.

The last part of our journey today was to board the Monarch and cruise around the peninsula head (Taiaroa Head) to observe the fur seals, penguins and albatross. We get to see all three! The adult Albatross are flying home and feeding their young. Very impressive birds. Wing span is over 3 meters! We spot lots of seals sunning as we bob about in the Roaring 40's of the South Pacific.

The Monarch takes us back to Dunedin, about a 2 hour cruise with some rain mixed in to add interest.

We had dinner at the Speights brewery restaurant. This is an excellent locally made beer. And of course we had a other excellent meal.

Allison did great with another long day of sightseeing. She really enjoyed the penguins and the Albatross.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.084s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 5; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0436s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb