Taieri Gorge Railway - Middlemarch to Dunedin


Advertisement
Oceania
March 23rd 2012
Published: March 23rd 2012
Edit Blog Post

Today we made our way to Dunedin, but not by bus, car, boat, bus or hiking, this time we use the railway!! One of this greatest ways to travel! The first part of our journey is by van from Queenstown to Middlemarch, about a 3 hour ride. We stop at Clyde to drop off some bikers ( bicycle). This is the start to a great biking rail trail that ends at Middlemarch. The bikers then pick up their bags, board the train and ride to Dunedin. Looked like a cool ride.

I must make mention of the Muddy Creek Cafe in Omakua-friendly locals and great muffins! We arrive at Middlemarch about 1 hours prior to the trains departure. We hang out at a Bikers cafe! Allison finds a bucket full of McDonalds Happy Meal toys and is totally content. I read a fashion mag and Bill had a beer. The train rolls in on time but the crew tells us to find something to do for awhile as they are taking a lunch break.

When we do finally checkin they only have two seats for us and have a full train. No worries - there are two empty seats across the table from our assigned seats.

The ride is 64km to Dunedin. This is the longest privately-owned railways in NZ. The railway was started in 1879 and finished in 1921. There are 11 tunnels and a viaduct 197m long and 47m high. Of course, the scenery is stunning! There are places outside several cars to experience the close walls of rock carved by hand many years ago and to feel the vastness of canyons.

We arrive in Dunedin (Cletic for Edinbourgh and NZ's first city 1865) and check into the Scenic hotel. We set out to find a place to eat and find a great Irish Pub. Fish (blue cod) and chips, green lipped mussels, BBQ wings and beer for Bill and I. Allison gets a steak, vegetables and tamara (sweet potatoes) - finally not a meal of spaghetti!

Tomorrow we explore the wildlife.

Note from yesterday - Allison was totally bored with the bus ride and antsy on the ship. Then all of a sudden and little girl shows up! Jesse is 41/2 years old and the two of them are entertained the duration.

Advertisement



23rd March 2012

Food!
All the food you've had sounds yummy! (well, except for the green lipped mussels!!) Yay for a friend for Allison! Love to all! Enjoy! <3

Tot: 0.094s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 5; qc: 42; dbt: 0.0517s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb