Land Ahoy!


Advertisement
Oceania
January 5th 2011
Published: January 5th 2011
Edit Blog Post

 (approximately 1400km across the Tasman sea - 2.5 days traveling since leaving sydney) 
Got up at six this morning and whilst the webcam on our cabin TV showed the front of the ship and beyond it gave the impression no land was in sight  but a visit to the Crows Nest told another story - the obvious vee shaped cutting of Milford Sound was hiding against the cloud covered sky & growing in size the nearer we got. About 7.15 am we cruised into the sound to enjoy the mountains, waterfalls, low clouds, & snow capped peaks unfortunately due to the constant drizzle it was hard to get a good view and the camera really doesn't  do justice to the natural beauty of the place. Seals featured also for those who were lucky to be on the correct side of the ship.

So guess what was next? Breakfast. After the usual treats we were off to a digital photo editing course & another health seminar, plus a few laps of the ships deck. By now it's 1pm  & it was lunchtime. Grilled fish for John whilst sharing the table this time with  chatty Americans. Di enjoyed her lunch too however  yesterday she pre-ordered her gluten free meals thoughtfully numbering them 1,2 etc to indicate if the first preference couldn't be achieved as Gluten Free then she was happy to go with choice two. Instead the kitchen seems to have interpreted her as being very hungry and supplied multiply numbers of dishes for her to eat! We were being overwhelmed with  courses for appetizers, soups, and mains!

Next we followed the coastline heading SSW to Thompson and Dusky Sound's for a  so off we went to the forward open deck to enjoy the view and take in the fresh air - thankfully no rain but low clouds and rather cool air. The afternoon was taken up with slow cruising and a number of laps of the deck, John attended a margarita cocktail mixing group at the ocean bar & visits into two more fiords. Then TEA with another group of Americans. 

Post tea, we took in a musical show called "southern lights" based around an American theme & watching a DVD in our cabin.
Tomorrow we will actually get off the ship for the first time at the southern most tip of NZ Oban so Its a 8am start so off to bed relativity early.     

Hope you remember the photos wer'e lodging on the flickr website see our 2nd blog entry for the Internet URL.

PS Goodluck with your driving test Kimberly wer'e thinking of you   

PPS still dusk at 10pm NZ time. CU:-)       

Advertisement



Tot: 0.063s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0433s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1012.2kb