Southern most populated town in world...


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Stewart Island » Oban
January 6th 2011
Published: January 6th 2011
Edit Blog Post

It's Thursday or so we are reliably informed by the mat in the lift, they change them each day just incase you forget .
Today we visit Oban the most southerly  inhabited island in this hemisphere they have a population of 300 in winter and 3000 in summer with the tourist influx, which keeps the island going. To get to the island you queue up for your turn on the tender which takes about 10-15min to get there, then you have to climb and keep climbing up the hill, steep but well worth it when you get to the top then it's down the other side into the fishing township very picturesque. Transport here is rudimentary they don't have obahn's, taxi's , buses or trains just your feet feet and more feet. 
But they do have the most heavenly fish and chips imaginable, it's just as well you have to climb the hill to get back to the ship to walk it off. We could happily retire here especially to 10 Leonard street overlooking the bay where the tourist ships pull in and anchor between the two islands. 
We did our bit to help with possum eradication, (apparently they have 500,000 on Stewart island alone the fur makes the most beautifully soft knitting) by purchasing a pair of gloves so the possums in our roof could be useful if you could only catch them. Unfortunately they didnt stock the NZ SIMM card we were hoping to procure so will have to wait till tomorrow . The ship pulls up anchor at 6 pm and were off to Dunedin.  

Advertisement



Tot: 0.118s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0643s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb