Kiwi speak


Advertisement
Oceania
November 2nd 2005
Published: November 3rd 2005
Edit Blog Post

As in any foreign country traveled one must contend with the differences in language. I always found it was imperitive to try to learn as much as I could to at least sort of understand. I am not one of those who find it easy to adjust to a language as some can. Paula and I lived in Mexico on the island of Holbox seven miles off the coast of the Yucatan for over three years. I still fumble Spanish while she talks quite fluently.

Visiting places like New Zealand for the English speaking visitor would seem to be no problem but just like where you come from their are vey local terminologies and speech that can sometimes put you in an awkward position or at the least be confusing.

The names of the communities and roads in New Zealand are mostly of Maori words. Different language altogether.
For instance one big difference - let's take the town of Whangerei - All words beginning in -wh- have a sound of -f-
or -FANGERA- pronunciation. Soft a on the first -hard a on the second.

I still am terrible on the Maori words and pronunciation. There are only 15 letters in
the Maori alphabet and all are governed by vowel sounds.

the letter "o" is the most difficult more like "aw" in the word macaw. Lots more to know, of course, but this isn't going to be a lesson.

Pick up a book when in New Zealand if you want to learn the Maori language. It is beautiful to listen to and if you get a chance to hear it in song especially by a group it is beyond stunning.

What I want to say here is more in the English Kiwi slang that has developed over the years unique to the country.
I must admit here one of the big mistakes I made in '89 when I first visited New Zealand was the misunderstanding of tea rooms. My partner and I being from the US where we were not accustomed to tea rooms being for anyone except litle old ladies sipping tea. We had a hard time finding places to eat like we were used to back home not realizing we passed by these places constantly.

Since cruising with a Kiwi I soon learned the difference lus they used the word "tea" for dinner also. Plus the Kiwis have about as many meals as a Hobbit. I also was taken back by a local hamburger that had beetroot(I also only knew this word as beet) on it. A new experience that I enjoyed actually. Lots of other good stories but I won't bore you with my personal experences.

By the way this is generally still rugby, racing and beer country. If you want to get along with the locals at their pubs it doesn't hurt to know a little bit about rugby and racing and a lot about their local beer.

Here is some Kiwi slang for you to digest -

bach- this is what they call their holiday home. Much revered as Kiwis love the outdoors.
barbie - a barbecue
box of birds - All is well.
capitan cooker - a wild pig
chateau cardboard - cheap wine in a carton
chocker - completely full
chook - a chicken
cobber - an old buddy
cockie - a farmer
crook - not feeling well
dag - an amusing person or even
dinkum - the right information
dunny - outside toilet
fizz boat - small boat with engine
footie - rugby
gidday - hello
good on you mate - common words of encouragement
handle - pint beer mug
hard yacker - hard work
kiwi - someone from New Zealand
lolly - candy
loopie - tourist
mate - a close friend or a term of address to a stranger
OE - overseas experience
pavlova - a Kiwi meringue dessert
pisshead - heavy drinker
plonk - cheap wine
rattle one's dags - hurry up
she'll be right - it will be okay
sheila - a woman
smoko - break time at work


Lots more but that shold get you started.

Later...........................................................












Advertisement



Tot: 0.049s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 11; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0205s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1018.5kb