DAY 37 ALICE SPRINGS-PALM VALLEY


Advertisement
Oceania
July 18th 2022
Published: July 20th 2022
Edit Blog Post

After a very cold night, -30C (felt like -5.4oC), we prepared more slowly than usual.

We could not go past Flynn’s grave site beneath the beautiful range encompassing Alice Springs. The large boulder above his resting site was ‘donated’ by the Aboriginal people of Karlu Karlu recognising the great work Flynn had done for them.

The West MacDonnell’s quickly enveloped us as we drove alongside them on the Larapinta Road. Turning into Simpson’s Gap, their rugged beauty was seen close-up. Deep redness with 90-degree faces extending skywards and massive fallouts beside the wide, but dry sandy riverbed, where large river gums had made their home. Rock wallabies inhabited the sloping cliff faces. Jane was fortunate to spot and photograph a few. I had the baby ducks! Below Simpson’s Gap a small pool was there for all to enjoy.

From there we moved onto Standley Chasm, a place we last visited in 2006. 16 years later we noted a huge change. A large café, shop, flushing toilets and a parking area. 2006 it was just a rocky, find your way to the chasm. It is now 100%!o(MISSING)wned and operated by the local Arrernte community. It is traditionally known as Angkerle Atwatye, ‘the Gap of Water’. We walked the made trail, but the amount of people took away the tranquility of the place. We had a cuppa and a muffin and struck up a long conversation with another travelling couple from Victoria. They had travelled extensively throughout WA.

To Hermannsburg and the turn-off to Palm Valley, along a very corrugated track until it changed to the dry, stony sections of the large Finke River. The landscape scenery was awesome indeed. We just wanted our family and friends to experience what we were feeling. We made the comment that of the 7 or so billion people in the world, we were the only ones at that time in this part of the world. We stood and just, ‘took-it-all-in’. Tomorrow, we walk one of the trails.

The narrow track finally came to an end at a campsite with the ranger in attendance. We selected our spot and quickly setup for the night. Our teamwork has been crucial to the success of our trip. Jane quickly set about cooking meatballs in an Italian tomato-based sauce made from fresh ingredients. No jar sauces from Jane. Coupled with vegetables and potatoes, it was a dinner fit for a king. I am a lucky man indeed. The aromas permeated near and far that a few campers came enquiring whether they could share.

We expect a cold desert night but are more prepared than last night. Thermals for sure!

Tomorrow … we walk a trail.


Additional photos below
Photos: 23, Displayed: 23


Advertisement






Tot: 0.129s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 22; dbt: 0.0993s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb