We've made it!


Advertisement
Vanuatu's flag
Oceania » Vanuatu » Efate » Port Vila
September 23rd 2008
Published: September 23rd 2008
Edit Blog Post

Chipper GreetingChipper GreetingChipper Greeting

You can see the people that the plane landed successfully in Vanuaut. Kidding. The Ni-Vanuatu (native people of Vanuatu) are just plain happy.
After a little bit of drama in the New Zealand airport (4 of us were waitlisted, including me, which could have meant the group splitting up. Thanks to a whitty kiwi behind the counter, we remained calm and hoped for the best - a few days hanging out in New Zealand until we could get on one of the twice a week flights to Vanuatu. Didn't happen though) and a great welcome by our in country staff and a few current volunteers, we are settling in to the time changes, new food, and early to bed/early to rise lifestyle of Vanuatu.

As we flew in to Vanuatu, there were people standing on top of the airport waving and blowing in kazoos. It is a very cheerful place as everyone greets everyone in the streets with familiar phrases. I'll give you three guesses on what these mean: "Halo" "Gud Moning" and "Gud nit."

For now, we are in the capital, Port Vila, on the island of Efate. And everything we could possibly need is at our fingertips, including internet! There is also a market that is much like Wal-Mart with everything from towels and sheets to yogurt and frozen vegetables.
Welcome SignWelcome SignWelcome Sign

There was no way we would get lost at the airport.
My advice to future Peace Corps volunteers: pack less! If I could re-do anything, I would not bring any sheets, towels, shampoo, conditioner, type of things with me. But, as it is, here we are with SO MUCH STUFF that keeps growing - more on that later. On Sunday we leave for our traning village - Mangaliliu. For you "Survivor" fans, I regret to inform you that yes, this is the village that was filmed for the season in Vanuatu. Cheif MorMor will soon be one of my many care keepers in this beautiful place. Please limit your autograph requests to one per family.

Our group is constantly growing closer. Luckily, since there are only 21 of us, there are no "groups" per say and we all are happy to chat with anyone. I may have said this earlier, but it is so true that we are constantly on the look out for each other. We practically throw vatu - the national currency - at anyone who seems to be struggling digging for money. We have one veteran of Peace Corps (he packed only a SMALL duffel bag and a SMALL backpack for his luggage) who is very protective
Training GroupTraining GroupTraining Group

Such a good looking bunch.
of all of us. Justin is learning that his role as one of four males in the group is essentail. On girl jokes with him that he has gained 10 wives.

For any worriers out there, you will be pleased to know that our Peace Corps staff is exceptionally available and knowledgable. We received today, to add to our luggage burden, two cases of medical supplies so we can treat anything from stomach problems to bush knife cuts. Our nurse is from Australia and she is a wonderful wealth of knowledge (and explains it all in a nice, gore-free way that is preferrable to my quesiness).

Love to you all!

Disclaimer: The contents of this blog are mine personally and do not reflect any position of the U.S. government or the Peace Corps.



Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Med KitsMed Kits
Med Kits

For the Brock Family - Putting these together reminded me of Stocking Stuffers at Christmas.


24th September 2008

So...
Hello Sheridan, nice to e-meet you. I heard through the Kavaroot-vine that you are accompanied by a strikingly handsome gentleman named Justin, and apparently he resembles another strikingly handsome individual that one of you co-volunteers is acquainted with. Let's just hope these two men never find themselves together. It has been wondered what would happen if an unstoppable force met an immovable object.. Congrats on arriving safely and good luck in everything to come. Tell Erica I am thinking of her always. Sawatdee! Daley

Tot: 0.121s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0752s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb