Hideaway Island


Advertisement
Vanuatu's flag
Oceania » Vanuatu » Hideaway Island
September 23rd 2008
Published: September 23rd 2008
Edit Blog Post

Since we arrived on Saturday afternoon, Sunday was ours to regroup and familiarize ourselves with our new home. A group of us took the advice of current volunteers and took a bus to Hideaway Island. When I say bus, think the Mystery Machine meets Volkswagon Van type vehicle. For 100 Vatu (Vatu are comparable to pennies, so think $1) we can get anywhere in town.

The bus itself actually took us to a ferry, which then took us across about 800 meters (yes, meters, everything is metric system here: meters, kilograms, celsius, etc) of water to a very touristy little island. Peace Corps is very positively received among the Ni-Vanuatu. By claiming we are Peace Corps Volunteers (PCV), we get a discounted rate on the buses as well as the island fees that some islands incur. On Hideaway Island, we paid half of the usualy fee.

Not much to say about that day except it felt like vacation. We hung out on the beach, which was made entirely of coral, and used some of my old swimming goggles to check out the fish and live coral underwater. Hideway island also has an underwater post office, so we took advantage of that too.

Check out the beautiful pictures that are awesomely a common site in Vanuatu.

Disclaimer: The contents of this blog are mine personally and do not reflect any position of the U.S. government or the Peace Corps.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



25th September 2008

Your Grandma will be so proud. You can even find discounts clear across the world!

Tot: 0.114s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 14; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0696s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb