West Coast of South Island


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island
April 26th 2007
Published: April 26th 2007
Edit Blog Post

West CoastWest CoastWest Coast

Amazing coast line near the Pancake rocks
The west coast was a truly amazing experience. I guess it can be likened to BC, but here everything is younger it seems. this may be a wrong analysis but it just appears the the coastline here is more rugged, as well as mountains. the area is also minimally developed so roads and towns seem to just be placed along previous routes or villages slowly getting a bit larger. In short, it was spectacular. A place that you did not want to rush to your destination but get lost along the way enjoying everything around you. More than once we would look at the map and figure only a couple of hours driving time from one location to another, only to discover that we would miss too much and then spent twice as long getting there!

I guess the highlight along this portion of the trip was our one day hike on the Franz Josef glacier. After walking right up to the face of the glacier (it terminates to only a small stream) we started walking up the face of it. We spent about 6-7 hours hiking time on the glacier in which time we walked down into crevasses,
West CoastWest CoastWest Coast

As we kept on driving the sun started setting. There was nothing special done to make the color look like this, it is truly how the mountains all around us were colored.
through one ice cave and over numerous meticulously maintained steps.

from here the next point of interest was the Puzzelling world in Wanaka. I think the pictures pretty much explain most things, but if you don't quite get everything from them the place was just meant to mess with your mind. Rooms that were on slants so water appeared to run uphill. A chair on rollers that runs uphill, balls running uphill. you standing at weird slants to the rest of the room and so on. You felt a bit sick coming out of it, but i guess that's part of the experience.

from here we drove south through Queenstown and into Milford Sound. This area is best described by the photo's, their worth more than my 1000 words.





Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement

Franz Josef GlacierFranz Josef Glacier
Franz Josef Glacier

Elnaz climbing through an ice cave. it was a bit cool, but very cool at the same time.
Puzzeling world-wanakaPuzzeling world-wanaka
Puzzeling world-wanaka

The great maz, Elnaz found all 4 towers before me, but then got lost in the maz and had to be rescued...by me!
Puzzeling world-wanakaPuzzeling world-wanaka
Puzzeling world-wanaka

Look at Elnaz's face, its a really big one!
Puzzeling world-wanakaPuzzeling world-wanaka
Puzzeling world-wanaka

Are you sure you dropped that in here hunny...I really can't find your contact.
Puzzeling world-wanakaPuzzeling world-wanaka
Puzzeling world-wanaka

"I see that you want to come and visit New Zealand, my child"
Puzzeling world-wanakaPuzzeling world-wanaka
Puzzeling world-wanaka

Who's standing straight?
Puzzeling world-WanakaPuzzeling world-Wanaka
Puzzeling world-Wanaka

No wonder why she had that expression on her face. She even had to go outside to finish that one!
Milford SoundMilford Sound
Milford Sound

These are Kea, a mountain parrot. If your not careful they will eat anything, your shoes, your packs, your car. And this one tried to eat my finger.
Milford SoundMilford Sound
Milford Sound

Lunch time during a kayaking trip. The sand flyes kept us moving, which I guess is the point of the sandflys if you listen to the Mauri legends!
Milford SoundMilford Sound
Milford Sound

This pic and the previous are of the same waterfall, this one is just the next day after a night of rain.
Milford SoundMilford Sound
Milford Sound

The day after a night of rain. The waterfalls were cascading down this mountain, called the Cascade Mountain.
Milford SoundMilford Sound
Milford Sound

One of the many local residents, a New Zealand fur seal, almost hunted to extinction back in the 1800-1900's


Tot: 0.043s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0232s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb