North of South Island


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island
April 25th 2007
Published: April 25th 2007
Edit Blog Post

FerryFerryFerry

The ferry that brought us to the south island
After arriving in Picton from the north island we set about to make the most of our time. knowing that we would be doing a number of outdoor activities in the south we decided 'why not start here'. so after a day of planning we boarded a boat to take us out to a point on the Queen Charlotte track to do a one day mountain bike trip. Was it ever good to get back on a bike after probably a year, even if it was just cross country riding! anyway, elnaz took to it after a very short time, the first downhill section, and really started to enjoy it. She did manage to show some beginner-ness by trying to get her leg over the bike at one point after she was quite tired and then just kinda toppling over! Problem was she toppled down a rock bank. She was fine, didn't get more than a scrape. I did manage to get a photo for evidence, but only after asking her if she needed help!

After Picton we headed along the coast to Nelson where we we're to spend only one night. we had seen some advertisement for the
Queen Charllett TrackQueen Charllett TrackQueen Charllett Track

Elnaz owned that bike! Untill she fell off at the end of the trip
WOW gallery, (World of Wearableart) and to Elnaz's amazement i suggested going. The place was quite interesting and very worth the admition fee, but to be honest we didn't understand all the pieces that were on display. I guess that just shows the differences in the mind of an artist, and that of everyone else!

We headed over to the Abel Tasman as well, a very popular walking track here, but after experiencing very heavy rain and conditions that didn't allow us to see much we decided that we'd skip that area and continue on down the coast. The area was still beautiful even in the clouds though.



Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Queen Charllett TrackQueen Charllett Track
Queen Charllett Track

Lunch time view
Queen Charllett TrackQueen Charllett Track
Queen Charllett Track

This duck wouldn't leave us alown, practically walked over me to get to the seeds i'm feeding him.
WOWWOW
WOW

Part of the weird bra selection
SheepSheep
Sheep

Elnaz loves the sheep here. I actually think that half of our photo's are of these guys.
RoadRoad
Road

This isn't uncommon, to have a one lane road with a yeld sign for one direction of traffic and then sometimes overhanging rock above your head. I had to drive through this area a couple of times cause it was just so cool!


17th May 2007

Enjoyment
Great to see that you're really finding some of the exciting parts of outdoor NZ. We WALKED not rode, part of the Queen Charlotte Track. And we can tell you the the Abel Tasman area is great in sunshine.

Tot: 0.042s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0247s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb