Shrek. ... the famous sheep!


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Wanaka
November 16th 2016
Published: November 16th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Lake WanakaLake WanakaLake Wanaka

And yes, that's snow on the mountains!
Journeyed this morning via Cromwell (fruit growing region) to Wanaka... but stopping at a little known village called Tarras.
Tarras was put on the map by new Zealand's most famous sheep, Shrek. Having avoided muster several years running, Shrek the merino sheep was finally found living in a remote cave in the Otago hills above Tarras. Merino sheep are renowned for their beautiful fleece.... but several years without being shorn had left Shrek with an ogre like appearance, his fleece looking like an oversized jumper covering below his knees and over his eyes. His first shearing was shown live of NZ tv (where else would give it prime time viewing??) ... the fleece weighing in at 25kgs.
His human like personality made him a national icon, and he has raised funds for numerous children's charities. His second public shearing was more extreme in its location.... Google him.... it's quite a story!
So Wanaka for lunch and a wander around town and walk by the lake. More stunning scenery, but alpine views now as we head up the centre of the south island among the mountain ranges. On to Twizel tomorrow....


Additional photos below
Photos: 2, Displayed: 2


Advertisement

Arctic poppies?Arctic poppies?
Arctic poppies?

Common by the roadsides


16th November 2016

So relieved to hear you are both safe & well...
Following your adventures with great interest, how exciting! Kids loved the postcards, Elizabeth took them in to show & tell at Preschool. Enjoy, much love xx

Tot: 0.129s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0742s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb