Lake Wanaka to Lake Tekapo


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Lake Tekapo
November 18th 2016
Published: November 18th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Lake PukakiLake PukakiLake Pukaki

Beautiful.... despite the rain clouds!
Travelled over the mountains through low cloud and patchy rain.... taking the road to Mount Cook where the weather started to deteriorate further. The road there, runs for about 50km alongside Lake Pukaki which, despite the weather was still a vivid turquoise. On our previous visit in 2009 we had encountered many curious Kea, the native mountain parrot renowned for its destruction of vehicles (removal of windscreen wipers, vehicle trim and anything not secured well to the vehicle!). Despite attempts to locate them we are sad to say we didn't see a single one! There is much controversy here over "1080" poison which is being used to eradicate the non native mammals (possom, stoat, weasels), with suggestion it is wiping out native wildlife and particularly birds too? It is a tough debate as birds are suffering at the paws of these mammals, so something must be done! Trapping does not suit much of the terrain, so air drops of poison have been undertaken in many parts of the country. It is a debate that has no quick or easy solutions, but feelings run high on all sides.
And so finally to Lake Tekapo. Following yesterday's heavy rain we were delighted to
Lake TekapoLake TekapoLake Tekapo

Lupins are everywhere!
wake to clear skies... even if it was a bit chilly. An early walk up Mount John to the observatory was rewarded with 360 views of the surrounding mountains, all with a fresh dusting of snow. Stunning... worth the effort of the climb!


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.098s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 10; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0498s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb