Wanaka


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Wanaka
February 15th 2009
Published: February 27th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Today we were heading to Haast but couldn't find a campsite there so we decided to carry on down to Wanaka. It was about 5 hours away but easier to get to Queenstown from there. The drive was stunning, the mountains, lakes and all the surrounding landscapes are breathtaking....we stopped overlooking yellow fields of flowers along a river in amoungst the mountains for lunch!
We arrived in Wanaka mid-afternoon, eventually found a campsite down near the lake. Once the tent was up and the facilities located we went for a walk along the lake and the beach.
It was then time for tea, whilst we were cooking dinner two English girls started talking to us, Jess and Jen, from Birmingham. They were really nice, we ate dinner together, shared a bottle of wine. After dinner we went into the small town as they had heard of a local band playing in one of the pubs. We walked into the pub and it was full of locals...one of the nicer bars! Had a few beers and enjoyed the band. It was very amusing watching a group of locals, still in their work clothes ( odd for a sunday ! ) getting very drunk! By the end of the evening, Jess, Jen, Chris and the others were all dancing away and playing drunken pool! We ended up leaving the girls there as it was now past midnight and i was falling asleep on my feet!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.082s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0535s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb