Wanaka to Te Anau


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Te Anau
October 19th 2007
Published: October 19th 2007
Edit Blog Post

View from our unit!View from our unit!View from our unit!

Although not taken on the day we left, this was the view from our unit in Wanaka. How spectacular!
Before I get stuck into our adventures for the day an apology for the delay getting the entries up. We’ve had trouble getting internet access since getting to Wanaka. Our NZ dial-up service provider has one place in NZ where they’re server isn’t working properly. Yep, you guessed it…in Wanaka. While talking to them on our mobile they said “oh, it was working last year!!” LAST YEAR!!! Geez guys you reckon you could check it a bit more frequently???? :-)

Right, now to our day. We were up in time to shower, pack and have a cooked breakfast (quite a treat from cereal and toast) before checking out at 10am. Left Wanaka after another visit to the supermarket (our 3rd since we arrived), fill up with fuel ($1.71ltr) and a quick photo.

Our route is via the scenic “Cardrona” road. It was scenic with lots of hills and valleys and brown, almost burnt, low lying scrub. Cardrona itself was like stepping back in time. Several old style buildings including an original 1900’s hotel. Although we didn’t stop it looks like the town is about to take off with a heap of new development occurring and blocks of land for
Wanaka Street SceneWanaka Street SceneWanaka Street Scene

This looks down to the lake from part of the main shopping area in Wanaka.
sale for even more development. All for the nearby ski fields, no doubt.

We get to a scenic pull off to see Arrowtown and in the distance Queenstown. This also confirms the mountains to our left are The Remarkables. They’re not so spectacular today and we should see them more when we come back to stay in Queenstown on Monday.

Te Anau is a further 1.5 hours drive mostly via a winding road alongside Lake Wakatipu…very beautiful but again the conditions make any photos insipid. At the DOC (Department of Conservation - like park rangers) we learn the Milford Sound Road opened late yesterday…phew!! Means our tour, up the Milford Rd and cruise on the Sound, tomorrow will go ahead.

Edgewater XL Motel is our “home” for the next 2 nights. The description in Lonely Planet Guide says it’s in the “mid-range to top end” level of accommodation here in Te Anau. It says, and I quote, “Although it doesn’t look like much from the outside, this lakeside motel is a steal. Rooms have a great 1960s look about them with big windows, lots of light, a cute kitchen and a shared veranda. It’s meticulously clean.”
Lake Te AnauLake Te AnauLake Te Anau

Looking northish along Lake Te Anau towards the town.

Well, they did get a number of things right. 1) It doesn’t look very good from the outside at all and in our opinion should be knocked down; 2) It is a steal - only $105NZ a night; 3) definitely 1960s style right down to the melamine table with small vinyl chairs and the pull-cord light switch above the beds (just like at Grandma’s place!); 4) big windows with lots of light streaming in; 5) it is very clean. It is very kitsch and will do us no problems but if this is what “mid to top end” accommodation is, I’d hate to see what a “budget” place was like. *lol*

After many failed attempts to connect wirelessly to the Backpackers’ server we decide to give up and eat dinner and go through the tourist info we picked up from various places in our quaint little room.



Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Oh dear!Oh dear!
Oh dear!

Doesn't really do the room justice for those fans of the 1960s but you get the idea! :-)


Tot: 0.068s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0357s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb