Snow Defeats Us!


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Te Anau
October 20th 2007
Published: October 23rd 2007
Edit Blog Post

Wharf at ManapouriWharf at ManapouriWharf at Manapouri

The large buidling in the middle right of picture is where the Real Journeys' Doubtful Sound boat leaves from. It then heads out onto and across Lake Manapouri (straight ahead in photo).
Today we were supposed to be doing a "Big Day Out" tour to Milford Sound with a small company called "Trips n Tramps". We were out front at 8.00am in the cold and rain waiting to be picked up when a 4 wheel drive (not a silver minivan as expected) pulled up. We were then told by a rep from the company that the road to Milford was closed. *groan* It had been opened just one day since Monday but this time, instead of rock falls blocking the road there was snow! We just can't take a trick at the moment. Oh well, what can you do! *lol*

So, we went back and watched the rugby (Arg vs France) and what a surprise to see Argentina come up for a win! Not wanting to spend the day in our delightful little room and by this time with the rain really coming down we try and decide what to do. We manage to get online using our laptop in the backpackers next door and publish the last 4 days.

It's then a short drive to Manapouri, where our Doubtful Sound cruise leaves from tomorrow. So we head there for a
Lake Te AnauLake Te AnauLake Te Anau

Looking north up Lake Te Anau at a viewpoint near the start of the Kepler Track - a very popular 3 day tramp (that's kiwi for a trek/hike).
reconnaissance and well there wasn't much else to do so we come back to Te Anau. :-)

Calling into DOC (Dept of Conservation) we find the road to Milford open and just in case we call Trips n Tramps but they're not operating ANY tours. No other tour companies are heading out at this late stage either (12.30). It's a 2 hour drive one-way, no stops, and cruises of the Sound average 1.5 hours. Then there's the 2 hour drive back. We COULD drive it but it's not really worth it with rain continuing to fall.

There's only about 4 souvenier shops in town and we've done them all before we have lunch at The Moose. Not too bad a place and okay burgers - Monteiths Dark Ale pretty good too! The glass is called a "handle" probably came from the fact the glass has a handle!!! Original huh?? Guessing it's the same size as we call a pint.

Not much more happening for the rest of the afternoon. We get packed for our overnight cruise on Doubtful Sound which starts tomorrow at midday. Even if it's raining it should be good. Can't wait.


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement

Te Anau ForeshoreTe Anau Foreshore
Te Anau Foreshore

Sunshine breaks through in the afternoon and the Lake takes on a different look.


Tot: 0.096s; Tpl: 0.032s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0411s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb