Making the most of the sunshine


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Wanaka
October 18th 2007
Published: October 19th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Road to Mt Aspiring National ParkRoad to Mt Aspiring National ParkRoad to Mt Aspiring National Park

Just an idea of the scenery which would've become much more mountainous if we'd continued on the road. Isn't the sunshine just fab!
The morning greats us with sunshine..yes sunshine!!! It’s a tremendous sight and we’re looking forward to our day out and about in Wanaka.

We take a drive out of town alongside part of Lake Wanaka and towards Mount Aspiring National Park. The scenery is beautiful; paddocks, lake, mountains and gorgeous gold and lime green trees, made all the better by the lovely warm sunshine. There are a couple of roadside rock-climbing areas and there are surprisingly a large number of people climbing them. Treble Cone is the local ski area. It’s closed due to lack of snow but there’s still quite a bit on the high peaks.

There was a great sounding area which we were hoping to drive to with a brief walk to a beach on Lake Wanaka’s edge. To get to it we drive on a narrow gravel road with a part through private property which makes us nervous mostly due to the fact that it’s lambing season. We came across sheep on the track and the track condition worsened (after the rain) so we turn back before we bog the rental car.

Back in town we take a short walk along the lakefront to
Alps from the HelicopterAlps from the HelicopterAlps from the Helicopter

This gives an understanding of what the ride in the chopper was like...nothing but snow capped mountains!
the Visitor Information Centre. We’re thinking of seeing if the helicopters are flying today to do a Mt Aspiring and Glacier flight. Whilst it’s sunny there’s still a bit of cloud around the mountains but it could clear so Clare at the centre takes our cell phone number (mobile number) saying she’ll call us in case it clears enough for a 4pm flight.

About to head into a café for lunch we get a call from Clare with some good news. Instead of the flight we’d preferred we could get on a flight which would take us across the mountains through to a landing at Milford Sound then back for the same price as the shorter one we were thinking of. Only problem was we would have to get there in 15 mins and it’s a 10 minute drive. Needless to say we don’t have to think about it for long and we’re on our way to the airport.

There are 2 other people on this flight. Susan and I get to sit in the back, the other couple up front with the pilot. Words cannot do justice to express the spectacular scenery, the amazing sensation of flying
Milford Sound - Mitre PeakMilford Sound - Mitre PeakMilford Sound - Mitre Peak

Wow, the sun is still shining even at Milford and this brief stop gives us a sneak peak at what it has to offer.
at the top of the peaks and the beautiful isolated landscape. The flight is absolutely awesome.

We land at Milford Sound and take a short walk around the water’s edge to the viewing point for Mitre Peak and Bowen Falls. It’s wonderful to see it with the sun shining as we suspect it will be grey and wet by the time we visit on Saturday and assuming the road is open.

About 20 minutes later we’re back in the air and looking at all the glorious sights again. Before we know it the flight is all over. What a fantastic experience and we are pleased we took the opportunity while we could cos the weather is coming in bad again for the Labour Day Long Weekend.

Many of you will know my ability to take lots of photos. This was no exception and we end up with 250+ photos! Don’t worry, some
More AlpsMore AlpsMore Alps

The trip back was just as awesome.
didn’t turn out and others are just multiples of the same thing - to make sure.

We return to our accommodation and see word is out that the chicks in Number 6 have food. The ducks have now multiplied to 3 and are very demanding. Once again we share our bread with them. Whilst it’s still legal to hunt animals here in NZ, we do not share the desire or passion and our duck friends waddle off.



Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Lake Wanaka from the airLake Wanaka from the air
Lake Wanaka from the air

Out of the mountains and not far from landing. Lake Wanaka is huge and this shot is looking north.


Tot: 0.085s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 10; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0367s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb