Yet more Wildlife!


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Southland » Catlins
December 22nd 2008
Published: December 25th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Where we did we leave you last time???......Ah yes, the Farmers Market.....

Well, from here we hopped back into Homer and wound our way down to the Catlins, a region that combines lush farmland, rugged bays, wild native forests and a whole host of wildlife, not to mention a severe lack of tourists (not that this has been a problem here!) - not even many locals for that matter!

Our first stop was Nugget point, with another cute lighthouse, and one of the only places in the world where fur selas, elephant seals and sealions live together...all-be-it very noisily!!

The drive along the coast, and through forests and farmland was, yet again, stunning and towards the end of the day we found a lovely little campsite on a cliff top, but surround by bushes where we were desperate to cook up some of our nice fresh produce....really tasty lamb and veg yummy! We seem to be eating far to well to be proper backpackers! - Much cheaper than eating out though!

The campsite was right between Porpoise and Curio Bays, perfect place for spotting more wildlife! Curio bay is home to a school of rare Hector Dolphins and we saw several of them surfacing, unfortunately a little too far away. We also came across a sleepy female sealion who barely lifter her head to see who we were and then, at dusk (which is really late here, almost 10pm!) we treked down to the cliffs to watch the yellow eyed penguins come ashore.

Dan - Yes we've always seemed to been having dinner or in bed when these funny little fellows return from a days fishing. Waiting in anticipation 1 jumped out the sea then 2 then 3 and so on until they all waddled into a huddle chirped for a few seconds proceed to clean themselves then off they went home to thier burrows....very funny, but interersting stuff.

So no rest for the wicked off we go the beautiful 'Milford Sound' we're told a loverly piece of land where snow capped mountains meet the ocean.......should be good.

More soon

Us
xxxxxxxxx


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Petrified forest!Petrified forest!
Petrified forest!

Weird to think this area used to be jungular millions of years ago!


Tot: 0.221s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 27; qc: 115; dbt: 0.1737s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb