Stunning scenery!!


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Milford Sound
December 23rd 2008
Published: December 29th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Another long drive took us from the Catlins via Invercargill to stock up on supplies and then on again to Te Anau, where we spent the evening chilling out and doing headstands before setting off again the following morning to the Magical Milford Sound.

The 119km drive from Te Anau to Milford took us most of the day due to regular stops along the way to admire the breathtaking mountains, flowers and landscapes and to take a few short walks into our magnificent surroundings. One of our treks took us up part of the Routeburn track, through beach forests covered in moss and then climbed up to Key Summit where we were rewarded with amazing views of the 3 valleys that radiate from the top, snow covered peaks and nearby lakes......Stunning, and one of the best walks we've done!

To get through the mountains to Milford Sound, we had to run through the Homer tunnel which carves through a huge mountain (which apparently the postman used to have to climb everyday before the tunnel was cut!) and spits you out the other side where you eventually arrive at the famed Milford Sound ('Sound' meaning 'Fiord') which was quite impressive but we felt that the places that we'd stopped on the way we equally good (if not better!) We could have chosen to take acruise out into the expanse of water that eventually opens out onto the Tasman Sea, but as usual were watching the pennies and decided we gained enough from the bits we'd seen already!

Dan - ............Besides, tours are rubbish in our opinion!!. So after a nice slow drive back towards Te Anau we decided to call it a day and rolled up into a Department of Conservation campsite (The best one's by far, Cheaper and 1,000,000 better scenery!!) see pictures WOW what a site to fall asleep around!!.

The next stop we've decided on is Queenstown for some Adrenaline fuelled sports!!! and it's not far from Lake Wanaka where we will be jumping from a plane on Christmas eve, make sure you see the next blog for the video's!.

So we'll say bye for now............

Us
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx


Additional photos below
Photos: 25, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.119s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 11; qc: 18; dbt: 0.092s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb