Wildlife and weird boulders!


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Otago
December 20th 2008
Published: December 25th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Hi ya..............

Our drive from Mt Cook was quite a long one, but with nice bright weather and beautiful scenery it wasn't a chore! In fact the driving here is great - the roads are fantastic, you hardly ever come across another car, let alone find yourself in a traffic jam and everything you could ever need is signposted!.....It's a shame the speed limit is so low, but we think we've worked out that they keep it that way to avoid drivers veering off the road when reaching for the camera or being astounded by an even better view at each and every turn!

So we gladly made the long drive from Mt Cook down to Dunedin and the Otago Peninsular, stopping off every now and again at viewpoints and to see ancient Maori rock art. We also stopped at Moeraki Boulders - Bazarre spherical rocks in the middle of a beach wich look like a giants game of marbels! We're not really sure how they've come about, apparently their natural and were probably created due to some geological rock reaction (Very scientific!!)

We were lucky enough to come across a few Fur seals which were quite happy for us to wander around them while they were chilling out on the rocks and barely even acknowledged we were there! We also found a few endangered Yellow Eyed Penguins which were really great to watch as they hopped between rocks and preened themselves.

From here we set off again to the Catlins via Dunedin, where we picked up some nice fresh organic supplies from the local farmers market. We grabbed some lovely porterhouse steaks and some "teenage lamb" (cant remember the proper name!..oooops, sorry Dad!), which they appraently eat more of over here than young lamb as it's more tasty- odd that we rate it so highly at home in that case! - a bit of cheese (at last, it's been so long!!!) and loads of fresh veggies.....we're going to be eating VERY well over the next few days!!

So more from the Catlins soon.
xxxxxxxxxxxxx


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Nic stocking upNic stocking up
Nic stocking up

at Dunedin farmers market


Tot: 0.169s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 24; qc: 118; dbt: 0.1092s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb