Geeeze it's cold!!


Advertisement
Published: December 23rd 2008
Edit Blog Post

Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Yes brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr was ye old sound that came from my lips up in those cold mountains!!!!!!! So we rolled up in Mt Cook national park to a breeze so cold it would turn the devil himself blue!

Nic - Out came all the layers and the wooly hat again.....It's so difficult to keep up here, one minute you have blazing hot sunshine and the next it's the middle of winter again, four seasons in one day....and that's when your not even in the mountains! The rain was pelting down when we arrived and put us in two minds as to whether bother walking or not, but we decided to brave it and go the extra mile and where yet again rewarded with a break in the weather....well, it stopped raining and the sun shone for a few minutes!

We did a fair trek up through Hooker valley to the end of the Hooker glacier and it's lake complete with iceburgs where we stayed a while, hoping the cloud would lift for a grand view of Mt Cook. Unfortunately I ran out of patience when I could no longer stand still for shivering and we returned to camp for our eagerly awaited Salmon dinner (Bought fresh from the farm that day - see previous blog!)......Suffice to say, it was DEEELicious!!

As usual after drinking a few too many glasses of goon we had the struggle of wrenching ourselves out of the car in the middle of the night to answer natures call.....however this was the most rewarding pee I've ever taken.....The night sky was astounding! Far far away from any towns lights and at an elevateed altitude the stars were imense, far more than ever imagined and even better than any night sky I've raved about on our trip so far.....I couldn't stop staring at them and found it hard to tear myself away, especially as I was lucky enough to see at least 4 bright shooting stars...Awesome!

Dan - Lucky for us following such a clear bright night sky, the following morning stayed the same and we managed to get a good pic of the magnificent Mt Cook (NZ highest peak).

Off now to the Otago Peninsula, hopefully spot some Seals, Sealions and Penguins. Our journey took us past "Elephant Rocks", which was apparently used in the filming of "Narnia" - See pic! More soon.

Us
xxxxx

PS.....Probably our last blog before Christmas, so we'd like to send our love to everyone and wish you all a good time...Not really sure what we're doing yet - apart from jumping out of a plane!!!!!!
xxxxxxxx


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

Elephant rocks...Elephant rocks...
Elephant rocks...

...Used in the filming of Narnia apparently!


23rd December 2008

Greetings
Well it has to be said that we are both envious that you spending Christmas in such a beautiful country, forget the weather.. the scenary is incredible. Have a fabulous Christmas day not sure what you mean about jumping out of a plane but nothing would surprise us of you too.. thinkin' bold is definitely in your blood now! Happy Christmas to the both of you.. enjoy! Lotsa love Pippa and Dan
23rd December 2008

What Do You Mean, Jumping out of a Plane
Hiya, hope you both are okay. Not sure I like the sound of you jumping out of a plane, hope you both have good parachutes!!! New Zealand sounds really wonderful and fantastic scenery. Hope to speak soon, but if not, have a lovely Christmas. Poor dad's memory is suffering, its wasn't my family that were Gippos, it was Granny's family that were road diggers!!!

Tot: 0.058s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 12; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0271s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb