The Catlins south of Dunedin


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Southland » Catlins
December 11th 2005
Published: January 10th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Golden Beach - CatlinsGolden Beach - CatlinsGolden Beach - Catlins

One of the wildest parts of New Zealand, the Catlins and a fabulous beach in the heart of it.
Dunedin to Owaka in the Catlins is 115km and from Owaka to Invercargill is 130km. Be prepared to stay the night somehwere. Good DOC camps n this area. Mostly sealed roads now as of 2005. Golden sand beaches and long stretches of isolation. You have to get off the main road to really see the Catlins.

Going south on Route 1 you will go through Waihola (25km). on the left is Lake Waihola. Next is Milton(17km). On south on Route One to Balclutha where the Clutha River passes through on its last leg to the sea. If going to take the turnoff to the Catlins be sure to get fuel and stock up here. (Good butcher on the right leaving town by the way). Can't miss the turnoff on the left leaving the town of Balclutha. You can continue on Route One to Invercargill at this point if time is not in your favour but I must say missing the Catlins you are missing one of the most untraveled parts of New Zealand. it is 38km to the town of Owaka. We usually stay at a DOC campground at Purakanui Bay. Fabulous site for $4 a night (toilets on site).
 Catlins - Curio Bay Catlins - Curio Bay Catlins - Curio Bay

One of the wildest parts of New Zealand, the Catlins. Curio bay has a great holiday park plus this photo is of the remains of a Jurassic firest imbedded in the rocks
Long winding dirt road to get there but worth it. Lots of surfers use the place.
It is 25km from Owaka to Papatowai (home of the gypsy busman) on Tahakopa Bay.


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement

The Gypsy ArtistThe Gypsy Artist
The Gypsy Artist

The home of the gypsy artist in the Catlins.


Tot: 0.11s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 14; qc: 65; dbt: 0.0604s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb