Gore - The Brown Trout Capital of the World


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Southland
December 29th 2005
Published: December 29th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Back out to Route One and on the trail south to more exciting adventures. They are just beginning.
Route One from Dunedin to Balclutha, the Big River Town straddling the Clutha River,(63kms)and the turnoff to the left to the Catlins. (alternate if the weather is miserable is to bypass the Catlins staying on Route One to Invercargill(217kms - 5 hrs).

A full side trip may be in order depending on your desires and time frame. I recommend this way if you have been through this way before actually. Will add more to this in time to come but for now his route encompasses the art deco town of Ranfurly, one of the most impressive communities if St. Bathans and its haunted pub (don't miss this place and drive down to the lake across from the pub too), Alexandra where you take Route 8, Roxburgh where you can find orchard after orchard of fresh fruit in season and then Route 90 to Gore. Take a look at the map and decide your alternatives.

Gore is known as the Brown Trout Capital of the World by the way and has the Hukonui Moonshine Museum plus is the Country Music Capital of New Zealand. Busy little place at various times of the year. The Green Room Cafe is our favoutite stop in town.

At Gore you also have an alternative route depending on your time frame or what direction you may wish to travel. Route One on to Invercargill or Route 94 west directly to Te Anau missing most of Southland. We never go this way as we have called Riverton our southern "home" on the circle of the South Island always staying at the Globe Backpackers (best pizza in NZ) and stopping at the top Southland cafe and coffee at the Beach House Cafe, Rocks Highway, Riverton. Be sure to go on to the Riverton Rocks.

When you get to Gore either way you go Route One or Route 94 make the ten minute drive north on Route 94 to the Moth Restaurant and the Croyden Airfield where they have bi-plane flights and restore Gypsy Moth airplanes. The restaurant has a wall full of awards for its culnary efforts. Beautiful ambience along wih it.

A place not very well known off the beaten track is one of our favourite overnight stays. Probably regret telling everyone this one as we may not continue to enjoy the lack of other people but I guess that is what this is all about so here goes.........

Taking Route 94 again toward te Anau just a few minutes out of Gore (11kms) on the left is the turnoff of 8kms (or a road just as you leave town on the left both signposted) to a very hidden and absolutely beauiful secenic reserve known as Dolarmore Park. 95 hectares of the largest broadleaf/podocarp forest in Eastern Southland surrounds a large area of well maintained and exotic planted park where the morning songs of bellbirds and Tui greet you. Next to the 80 hectare Croydon Bush Reserve it is the starting point for several great short walks ranging from 10 minutes to four hours. Fabulous playground for children in the park. A night walk will also reveal the glowworms population.

The manager is Vic Herring and is proud of the place especially the 500plus rhododendrons planted on the place. A great story he tells of how that happened. The place is manicured and lovingly cared for. Great place for rallies I reckon. There is an educational room also that can possibly be used. Contact Vic at herrvic@esi.co.nz. and tell him Ron sent you.

The Park provides toilets, shower, dump station and twelve power points, electric BBQ's and a kitchen block for only $5 per person with school children free.Just make sure you get in before dusk when the gate closes.There I have done it! See you there.

More complete information at: On the Road New Zealand at www.ronlaughlin.net

Advertisement



Tot: 0.129s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 11; qc: 67; dbt: 0.0599s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb