Dunedin


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island
December 11th 2005
Published: December 11th 2005
Edit Blog Post

1/2 hours from Moeraki you descend upon Dunedin. I mean descend as it is built on several steep hills. A University town built with a total Scottish flavour. Ample parking for buses/campers at the Railroad Station (built in 1906 of Oamaru Stone - fantastic architecture!).
A very comfortable and easy access Holiday Park can be reached just as you enter town from the north on Pine Hill Road. That's the one you are braking all the way. Turn left on George Street almost at the bottom to Malvern Street. Continue along until you see the streamside Leith Valley Touring Park. It is like a little bit of nature in the middle of a city plus has great facilities. Closest park to the University, Botanical Gardens and World's steepest street.(not for you to drive on!). right off Route 1 when you enter the downtown area within easy walking to the heart of the city. A walk to the centre of the city at the Octagon where you can get the maps and information you need. Good cafes everywhere. Dunedin has over 150 cafes and restaurant. Really recommend any using Supreme Coffee for your coffee break. Both Paula and I enjoy Dunedin and usually spend a little time here. Plenty to do in this city.
Like chocolate? The Cadbury Chocolate Factory is an easy walk from the Station.You can park across from it if you plan to do some grocery shopping. Speight's Brewery is only a couple of blocks from the Octagon on Rattray Street. The Public Art Gallery is right there on the Octagon. You may want to drive if you visit the Otago Museum and University about five blocks away but parking is sometimes a problem.

Don't miss Port Chalmers. Founded in 1844 it has been active in the history of New Zealand from the first shipment of frozen meat in 1882 from the natural deep water port to the boom times after the discovery of gold in Otago in 1861. Captain Scott’s expeditions of 1901 and 1911 left from Port Chalmers.

Today it is a small community devoted to those early times showcasing the historic buildings now revamped to top quality shops for the many artists and crafts people who live and work here. Also good food and coffee at the Muscles Espresso. It is a must go for anyone who enjoys an opportunity to be among the first to “find” a special place to visit. This community is just now opening up and its future will be fantastic for visitors to enjoy I predict.

Two ways to get there. It is just 15 minutes(12kms) from Dunedin along the West Harbour. Another spectacular way is to come in from Waitati on Route One north of Dunedin down Blueskin Road. The back road entrance you might say. Another good way to visit is by bus from Dunedin. Stand Four on Cumberland Street every day but Sunday.






Check out the website information below on my website at www.ronlaughlin.net:

Cadbury World Chocolate Tour
Royal Albatross Colony
Penguin Place
Larnach Castle
Taieri Gorge Railway
Speight's Brewery Heritage Tour
Dunedin Museum
Dunedin Public Art Gallery

Advertisement



Tot: 0.094s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 55; dbt: 0.0478s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb