The Catlins


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Southland » Catlins
February 26th 2007
Published: March 1st 2007
Edit Blog Post

The Catlins coastline, apart from being sheep country, which pretty much define all of New-Zealand, and maybe Lord of the Rings filming location, kind of reminded me of the shire, is mainly known for it's marine life. Seals, sea lions, penguins and dolphins are among its most sought after residents, present on some beaches and bays, along its long and winding coastline. I've mentioned it before, when I met seals up in the north, that despite the fact that I am no animal hugger, I do see the appeal of spotting those animals in the wild. This time I got to see sea lion in some bay called Canibal bay, and it was pretty impressive. Big hunks of sea mammals, laying on the beach, rolling on the sand or even yawning. Most interesting was the mother with three cubs. I do believe, absurd as it sounds, that seeing them alone on that beach was out of context for me. I'm not used to large animals living by themselves somewhere, with no relation to human civilization. It's like watching a real live alien in the flesh (or in whatever it's made of) after seeing them for years on Star Trek. It's weird and exciting.
Besides that, we saw some impressive coastline scenery, and magnificent views at sunset and sunrise. As the winds were really blowing when we were there, as you can see in our photo at the southern point of the south island, the sea was particularly impressive. But most noteworthy in this whole are was the fact that it's somewhat devoted of people. I do think there is one person per 100 sheep or so. Not counting the tourists, of course.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Slope pointSlope point
Slope point

It was a wee windy...
The angry god in the skyThe angry god in the sky
The angry god in the sky

Or just the sunrise, you decide.


Tot: 0.051s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0251s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb