New Zealand - Christchurch to Oamaru


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Oamaru
October 28th 2008
Published: October 28th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Hi Folk

We do hope you were able to pick up the photos from the last entry. By the way Tom we are still waiting to hear from you!!

We were talking the other day about Christchurch being so English. Well Oamaru might not be as glamourous as Christchurch but it as English, well English as it used to be, down to the playing of crocquet lawn in middle of gorgeous public gardens. I don't know what it is but l can't seen to prise Nancy away from the flowers. I suppose l do understand, it is not often you get to see Spring flowers at the end of October.


In the evening I managed to prise Nancy away long enough to go and see the penguins come ashore just after dusk. We were told that over 20 blue penguins slip, slide and scuttle had come ashore. Oamura is also home to the hoiho (Maori for noisy) yellow eyed penguins and one of the rarest. They come ashore in the evening, are extremely shy and very closely guarded. We were given a running commentary and pair of strong binaculars and managed to get really close. The evening of penguin watching was really, really good but very very cold and windy.

The next morning, in contrast was really peaceful and quiet with glorious sunshine, the only noises being the birds singing. There was not a cloud in the sky!!!

Anyway we set off on a 5 hour drive to Te Anau via Dunedin stopping off
at a couple of spots on the way. We decided to do this long drive because we wanted to get to the Mountains and Milford Sound. We were really tired but we do think it was worth it.

On the way we stopped off at Moeraki to see the Te Kaihinaki (ancient boulders) on the beach. These ancient stones rest on a stunning stretch of beach about 30 kms south of Oamaru. Nancy did make mention that meant getting sand in her shoes but nevertheless she coped.


We arrived at Te Anau about 3 o'clock. The Holiday Park in Te Anau is sited right on the shore of Lake Te Anau. The name comes from Te Anau-au (Cave with a current Swirling Water) which lies on its western shore. Even more importantly - it was glorious sunshine and it was warm. Even though we were a little weary we still managed to find a couple of caches.

Next time - we will tell you about our trip to Milford Sound. This Nancy feels was definite a Multi Wow trip.

















Advertisement



28th October 2008

Hi folks it sounds like you are having a fabulous time...wish i had been there to celebrate your birthday with you. You will be glad to hear that it has also rained here and they lost 1500 fell runners on saturday (silly sods). Snow is forecast but you now have spring - how will that work, you have had summer. spring and then winter, life is all cockeyed! Liz

Tot: 0.1s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0576s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb