New Zealand - Milford Sound


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Milford Sound
October 30th 2008
Published: October 30th 2008
Edit Blog Post

No matter how many photos you're seen of Milford Sound, nothing can prepare you for the incredible feeling of actually being there. It is an inspiring and exceptional place. The fact that it was pouring with rain did nothing to change things. The fact it was so wet was positive because when you are so close to the sheer wall of the mountains with its thousands of waterfalls (l do not exagarate) that shower you and the ship we were on it was truly magical. Crusing beneath the fiords towering cliffs is an unforgettable experience. We were so close to the waterfalls that water soaked the foredeck and us.

Apparently in Maori legend the fiords were created not by rivers of ice, but by Tu Te Raki, a godly figure who came wielding a magical adze and uttering incantations. Milford Sound is without doubt his finest sculpture.

I have taken many photos which l will place on the blog as soon as opportunity arises.

Can l just say a few things about how we have found New Zealand and South Island in particular. For a start it is so quiet. By that l mean the environment and no traffic noises. You can walk back to the holiday parks we are staying in and there is literally no one around, the single car might appear but often enough -nothing. The sky is so clear, with no pollution the stars appear a great deal brighter than we can ever remember. When you wake up in the morning it is so peaceful, that all you can hear is the birds singing. Nothing else.

It just feels like a more relaxed sort of place, nobody in a great hurry.

Talking about morning Liz - the boiled eggs just do not seem to peel very well down here.

Morning Jack in sunny South Wales. I don't know how you feel about New Zealand wines but the bottle l managed to consume last night was a Pinot Gris 2007 from Puketapu Hawkes Bay, Whitecliff Sacred Hill. What do you think? The bottle tells me the wine has a Pears and tropical fruit flavour. Anyway it was very nice - not a drop was wasted. I have decided that l will stick to New Zealand wines and so far l have not being disappointed.

Tomorrow we going on a fairly short trip to Queenstown where intend to stay for 3 nights.

The question is: do l bungy jump or not???





Advertisement



Tot: 0.093s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 42; dbt: 0.0492s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 8; ; mem: 1.1mb