Magnificent Mount Cook


Advertisement
Published: June 25th 2009
Edit Blog Post

We (or should I say Geen) booked into the Glentanner Camp park. What amazing views we were greeted with, simply wonderful to wake up to those snow capped mountains all around you.
Having to stock up on fuel and provisions, it took us a while to get started on our intended walk, the Hooker Valley trail. With an estimated walking time of 3-4 hours we thought "piece of cake", but we should have known better considering our vanity and the apparent need for us to take a photo of ourselves with the ever approaching Mt Cook behind us at every turn!
When we did reach the end the view of the imposing mountain was pretty awe inspiring and it was incredible to see the lakes completely frozen over and icicles dropping from the trees. We even thought we heard a couple of mini avalanches along the way, but may have just been the snow shifting. It was pretty eery to walk back, as the sun was going down and there was no other noise apart from our shoes crunching and our increasingly laboured breath!
After such an invigorating walk, we kind of welcomed the 6 hour drive the following day. Well, I did with poor ole Geen resuming her position behind the wheel once again, whilst I, ever the lady of leisure, kicked back and relaxed and took in the views . .


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement

SDC11079SDC11079
SDC11079

Its not camera trickery Bec's face really is blue....with the cold!


Tot: 0.088s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 23; qc: 84; dbt: 0.053s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb