Mount Cook


Advertisement
Published: March 20th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Mount CookMount CookMount Cook

The view of Mount Cook on our drive there
Mount Cook 17th - 18th February

The drive from Lake Tekapo to Mount Cook was spectacular. We stopped at the edge of Lake Puketi where we could see Mount Cook from across the turquoise waters of the lake. Driving up along the lake towards the mountain we could see Mount Sefton with its impressive ice and snow. We camped on a DOC site with Mount Sefton towering in the background. I don't think we've stayed in a place with quite such a dramatic view as this.

That afternoon we all walked up towards Mount Sefton and its glacier lake, on the kea track. We didn't see any keas (the naughty parrots that steal anything that's not nailed down, including the rubber on car windscreens!), but we heard them higher up. At the top of the track there was a viewpoint over the glacier lake. We could see what looked like tiny iceburgs in the water. Then a gull flew down and landed next to one and we realised they were actually quite big - the gull was just a speck next to them. Distances and size are very deceiving in the mountains as everything is so vast.

When
Mount CookMount CookMount Cook

Stopping for a coffee with a lovely view of Mount Cook
we got back to the van, Rob needed a shower, so we got our outside solar shower out for its maiden voyage. It was hysterical - Emily and I tried to hold it up so he could shower under it, but it was easier said than done. There was no-where to hang it up so we struggled on. Afterwards, Emily said we should have rested it on the van roof - we tried it out and it worked! How silly did we feel! Still, it created a laugh.

The next day we drove to the Tasman Glacier (NZ's largest glacier). We walked up to the viewpoint, past the 'Blue Pools' which were actually a murky shade of green. The view of the glacier and lake was amazing. The glacier was not pretty at all as the ice was covered with about a metre of rock rubble. The lake was a murky brown colour and was strewn with iceburgs. Again the size was deceiving. Some motor boats were driving up next to them, crammed with people, and they looked tiny in comparison to the iceburgs, some of which must have been far larger than a house.



Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

DOC camping groundDOC camping ground
DOC camping ground

Erica on site with a wonderful view of Mount Sefton
The Kea walkThe Kea walk
The Kea walk

Walking up for a closer view of Mount Sefton
Kea WalkKea Walk
Kea Walk

Rob and Lyn
Kea WalkKea Walk
Kea Walk

Me at the top of the walk, looking towards Mount Sefton
Kea WalkKea Walk
Kea Walk

Me 'holding' Rob in my hand!
Outdoor living!Outdoor living!
Outdoor living!

Rob having his outdoor shower,with me and Emily helping!
Blue poolsBlue pools
Blue pools

Rob and I exploring around the Blue Pools
Tasman GlacierTasman Glacier
Tasman Glacier

Rob with the lake and iceburgs below
Tasman GlacierTasman Glacier
Tasman Glacier

The lake and iceburgs - the boats on the lake show just how huge the iceburgs are - each boat held about 30 people, but looked tiny against the iceburgs
Tasman glacier lakeTasman glacier lake
Tasman glacier lake

More of the iceburgs and boats
Tasman GlacierTasman Glacier
Tasman Glacier

Rob on the walk back down


Tot: 0.089s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 8; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0467s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb