Kaikoura


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Kaikoura
March 6th 2008
Published: March 6th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Christchuch to Kaikoura

Christchurch is our last stop on our trip to New Zealand - we will return here before we get our flight to Oz.

AlbatrossAlbatrossAlbatross

Can you tell how massive this bird is from this pic?! I hope so!
Date visited: 6 March

The only real appeal of Kaikura is what is out of sea (under the water) than on the land itself.

You may have heard of the Whale watching here - its one of those must-see / do activities so we did it yesterday!

The boat took us out at 9.30am and the sea was rough (be it a sunny day). People were feeling queezy before even getting to the whale area (about 5 miles out to sea). We were warned of the 3 metre swell on the ocean, so just before boarding the boat I whipped to the chemist to get 'Kaikura Cracker' - a strong anti motion sickness pill.

We were both feeling dodgy even with this but not enough to rush to the deck - unlike 4 or 5 other people!

We saw our first Whale after only 15 mins! they re-surface every 45 minutes for 15 minutes to get air, before diving deep down into the trench oncemore. This area of New Zealand is one of the best in the world for seeing Sperm whales, dusky dolphins, Albatross (wing spans of upto 4 metres!!) and Seals. We saw the
Dusky DolphinsDusky DolphinsDusky Dolphins

Very hard to take the pic whilst all in the air in perfect unison
whole lot!

The 3 hour excursion was about 60 quid but I am glad we did it - the water was blue coloured so it was easy to spot the dolphins (hundreds in their pods playing and doing jumps for us by the boat) - I so could have dived out and had a swim with them!

It was really difficult taking decent pictures - partly because I was still feeling ill, but the boat was moving a lot and so it made it tough for focusing. There was an annoying delay using the shutter button so by the time I took the pic the dolphin would have ducked down again, or a wave would conceal the whale. We saw two of the whales and I managed to get one of its tail as it dived (but not as good as the postcards!)


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

AlbatrossAlbatross
Albatross

MASSIVE!
The wing spanThe wing span
The wing span

the length of a car?!


Tot: 0.259s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 8; qc: 53; dbt: 0.1647s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb