Akaroa and the Banks Peninsula


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Christchurch
March 5th 2008
Published: March 5th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Lovely AkaroaLovely AkaroaLovely Akaroa

One of my favourite places
Date visited: 3-5th March 2008

Having heard that the Banks peninsula, a 2 hr side trip from Christchurch was worth visiting, we decided to call in.

As we drove along the peninsula it really was a good job we listened to the recommendations - what a beautifully qaint place. More than the Catlins, and equal if not better than the seaside 'hamlets' of Stewart Island, this area really did have its own charm.

We passed coloured boats oncemore sat in their positions in the cute harbour, rolling hills full of sheep, emerald green water in the peninsula, misty tops of the surrounding mountains - all painfully quaint and old fashioned.

Akaroa - the main town on the peninsula was another blast from the past of England 1930's - more like Prince Edward Island, Canada again (wooden coloured buildings, quaint churches, little parks for children to play in, benches along the front to look out to sea, cliff top walks, village scenes - all totally un-spoilt just like it should be! - a much quieter older fashioned place than UK east coast stop offs - none of the tourists, nor the trash. All clean. Very very nice indeed.

I'll also remember Akaroa for the hostel we stayed in - more like a Guest House it was home to a gorgeous ginger cat which purred and sat on my lap, and 3 very playful dogs - it all adds memories to the stay doesn't it!?


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Banks PeninsulaBanks Peninsula
Banks Peninsula

(Our hostel was just on the edge of the headland (this side). What a view!
Cute kids play areaCute kids play area
Cute kids play area

Odd to put a kids playground on here but just to show you anyway - all pristine and achingly well placed - this one right by the sea.. We see hundreds of these everywhere. (No chewing gum, spit, grafitti etc!)


Tot: 0.127s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0544s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb