On the land, in the air and on the water


Advertisement
Published: February 21st 2005
Edit Blog Post

What a day... Full of adventures!

In the morning we left the beautiful hostel in Wanaka, said good bye to all the travellers, and headed south to Te Anau, in the Fiordland.
Our first stop on the way was Arrowtown. We didn't find what was interesting in the town except that we managed to shop AGAIN :-) (some beautiful jewlery, yes, again. They have stuff made of a shell called Paua shell, and I fell in love with it).
On the way we stopped for WC, and only thanks to that, completely by chance, we saw the steam train that is still opearting in a place called Kingston. For tourist only of course... but still nice.
We arrived to Te Anau and booked an evening trip to a cave with worms. Yes, cave with worms, no spelling mistakes. You'll get the details soon.
We had a few hours till then and we planned to eat something and get some rest (after almost 300km driving). On the way to the Supermarket we saw the plane that does scenic flights to the fiords and just stopped to hear about it. Then we looked at the beautiful weather outside, looked at each other, and decided it's a non-recurring opportunity! So we did it! The flight was AWESOME!! It was a Cesna plane, 3 seats only. The flight was 40 minutes long, during which we had not only beautiful views, but also some fearsome flight really close to the mountains. He was crossing a pass in the mountains, going so low and turning from side to side that my stomach cried but it was FUN FUN FUN. The flight went over a lake with many islands with lakes in them, then mountains, then a fiord called Doubtful Sound, and back in the mountains and another lake. I enjoyed every minute of it. The pictures are not so good but who cares, at least they help me remember.

We landed and went on to our original plans - the worms. We took a real fast boat that crossed the lake (780 horse powers... I did ask :-), and arrived to a cave famous in its glow worms. It's a species unique to NZ - worms that have some blue light that attracts insects so the worms eat them. In the cave we walked a bit and sailed in a small boat on an internal stream, and the glow worms were so impressive that I could ignore the fact I was sitting so close to thousands of worms... Yak...

What a day - amazing flight, super fast boat, glow worms (and a real nice room at the hostel, although first time we had bunk beds!)


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.069s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 11; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0434s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb