Another Day In Paradise!! Yea! Right!


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Wellington
November 15th 2016
Published: November 15th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Six Years Old.Six Years Old.Six Years Old.

Ella with her Unicorn Cake.
Well !!!! What a day!!!! What has happened in the last couple of days?? Something has gone wrong and things are not going as they should. The 14th and 15th November 2016 has been " Just One Of Those Days, Just One Of Those Crazy Days". This is both days. Just after midnight at the start of a fresh new day { Monday the 14th} we were hit with a 7.5 earth quake which effected the top of the South Island very much, with heaps of damage, and also the bottom of the North Island {Wellington sustained a lot of damage, and effecting lots of areas through out the country. Earthquakes are the pits, not a thing you can do. Pretty much a sleepless night as the after shocks have been continuios since. Lots of disruption through out these regions. Wellington CBD basiclly closed down.

Tuesday morning, gale force winds and driving rain, lots and lots of rain. Flooding through out the region and the roads below us around the Pauatanuni Inlet jammed with traffic not getting anywhere. I had to drive into town mid morning which was a fairly long trip, and I was amazed at the flooding and
Hey! Whats This?Hey! Whats This?Hey! Whats This?

The bank below the house decided it had drunk enough and collapsed.
slips between Whitby and Wellington.

First great news!! Specialist tells me that the spot on my ear has to go asp. Introduce the plastic surgeon who decides, yes, that has to go asp and we will cut a wedge out of your ear this Thursday at 5pm. Great. I suppose that means that I can't get my ears pieced for my 70th birthday. I was so looking forward to buying a huge diamond.

Second great news!! Di rings me as I'm driving home and tells me she is standing in the bottom hallway and bedrooms with water splashing around her feet. Oh Right!! I'll be right home, can you hold your breath until then?. Later in the afternoon carpets pulled up, water sucked up, I have splashed and shovelled water from the basement to the outdoors were it belongs, cursed the drains and the unbelievable amount of rain that has fallen meaning that said drains couldn't handle everything. Late afternoon and, yippee, it's not raining anymore. Insurance people here and in control.

Third Great News!!! Possibly the best of all. Whats all that noise down there?? Go to the bottom deck and look below. Front end loaders
Oh, The Wind.Oh, The Wind.Oh, The Wind.

A large tree succumbed to the wind and down it came in the park.
and trucks!!!Taking away my land. Oh! So its trying to run away from me and join the sea. So now it blocks the road below and, yes they will clear it all and cut down those trees left hanging over the road. 11.45pm and they are still going strong. They have had a long long day clearing the unbelievable amount of slips through out the region.

So that has been my days of late. But!! I must remember that we have had a fantastic last few weeks with the kids and enjoyed school athletics, fishing, good weather, and a little bad, celebrating a few birthdays, Warwick, mine and Ella turning six. So much fun and things to do. So lets see what the next 4 weeks serve up before we head back to Norway for Christmas. Yes, looking forward to that. Rod/ Pip


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Cleaning Up.Cleaning Up.
Cleaning Up.

The work to clean up went well into the night.


Tot: 0.624s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 22; qc: 89; dbt: 0.3324s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb