The boot's on the other foot


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Wellington
May 6th 2005
Published: June 2nd 2005
Edit Blog Post

We took the train on a scenic (pacific ocean on the left, snow-capped mountains on the right) five-hour trip up north to the port of Picton. From there the three-hour ferry journey, through the Malborough Sounds and across the Cook Strait was spectacular (and thankfully smooth considering the storms we saw last week). We even saw some dolphins (but from too far away to identify properly).

On our first day in the capital (rainy and windy) we visited the 5th and 6th floors of the "Te Papa'' museum, where Emma was thrilled to see original costumes as worn by ''Split Enz'', leaving the rest of the building for another day (It's big!).

Next day, more rain and wind, but we managed to visit the Parliament building in time for a lunchtime tour. After the tour, we were thrilled to discover that full parliament would be in session that afternoon and accordingly took our seats in the public gallery opposite the government. We were just above (and facing) Helen Clark, the prime minister and her cabinet and also recognised two other MPs from the TV news (maybe we've been in the country too long already!). After all that excitement we visited the Embassy Theatre - home of the premieres of the LOTRs films ("Return of the King" is still showing).

On thursday (with the reappearance of the sun) we took a cable car up to the botanic gardens (where we participated in a sundial and saw our first Tui which is quite a rare NZ bird and one that had elluded us so far) and then walked down again into town. In the afternoon, we completed the remaining floors of "Te Papa" and in the evening found a nice Irish pub on Cuba St. in the heart of the city for a couple of pints of ale* and according to Emma, the nicest seafood chowder ever in the history of seafood and cream based chowder type products including the chowder we had in San Francisco which is famous for it.

On Friday, we picked up a hire car (a 96 Nissan Pulsar) and drove out to Seatoun (home of Peter Jackson), had drinks by the beach at the "Chocolate Fish Cafe" (voted the best cafe in NZ but more importantly is famous for being the place where LOTR cast and crew hung out during filming in and around Wellington) and even stopped by at WETA workshop (where special effects, sets etc. were done for the LOTR films). Although they don't accept visitors, we talked our way into a five-minute look around the displays in their foyer and boardroom seeing many models from the films as well as some of the Oscars, BAFTAs etc. that they have won. After all that excitement we spent a quiet afternoon in Wellington Zoo (not very big but they have a fantastic pair of Malaysian Sun Bears).

* footnote - yes, Emma is now officially drinking PINTS OF ALE, it took time but she has finally seen the light!



Advertisement



Tot: 0.313s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 13; qc: 63; dbt: 0.2263s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb