Black Grape: An installation


Advertisement
Published: May 16th 2005
Edit Blog Post

After the zoo, we drove up to the coastal town of Plimmerton (just north of Wellington) where we had arranged to stay four days at 'Moana Lodge'. The bad weather had returned but we met up with some other travellers in similar circumstances (Mike, Fran, Andy, Laura and Lisa) and later, Mark and Tanya (who we'd shared a flat with in Christchurch) turned up too. We spent a few days taking short walks and drives, but mostly watching LOTR films on video, playing Trivs (discarding the bizarre NZ-specific questions), shopping for a new digital camera and a top cheese, wine and art evening (organised by Lisa) where masterpieces were created with pastelly pencil crayons, waxy wax crayons and in some cases, improvised pieces of grape stalk and copious quantities of black crayon - psychologists are still examining the outpourings...

On Tuesday, fine weather returned as we left Plimmerton and drove a long way through nothingness to Castle Point on the far and remote eastern shore. There, we walked to and climbed the impressively sounding "Castle Rock", peering over the sheer cliffs and looking down over the natural limestone reef, lagoon and bays (complete with Surfers). A truly remarkable place, and well worth the detour.

After that, we returned inland and stayed the night at a farmhouse near Pongaroa.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.054s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0202s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1023.4kb