New Zaeland Wellington to Napier


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Wellington
November 12th 2008
Published: November 12th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Welcome to the scond Chapter of our diary to New Zealand.

Would you believe that we got lost (even with John Cleese help) going from the Holiday park in Picton to the Ferry Port a distance of about 500 metres. Well we did - l blamed Nancy for taking the wrong turn but never mind we got there and managed to get onto the ferry without problem.

On the wonderfully scenic crossing to Wellington we decided (in total agreement) to have another big Kiwi breakfast and just watch the world past us by along the Queen Charlotte Sound and across the Cook Strait and into a nice sunny day in Wellington.

Because our Holiday Park in Wellington was some 15 kms outside the city, and we were only there 1 night we did not actually go into the centre. W

We did however manage to complete two caches and saw a Pubeko (a swamp or Maori Hen) down by a swampy stream in surbuban Wellington. Nancy told me to tell you this, just in case Claire was watching. I do hope Lol will be pleased with our cache count on this trip but l think we are doing well if we manage at least one at every stop.

There is not a lot to tell you about Wellington other than its just another City with the same problems (according to the local taxi driver) as everywhere else.

We got a taxi for a change and went out for a night out at a local Indian Restaurant. We were stuck there for hours after we got talking to the Indian owner. He wanted to know everything about where we came from, what we did, what we thought about New Zealand etc. Anyway we had a nice night. On the way back Nancy thought we would stop off for a drink at the local Hotel. Our taxi driver asked if we really really wanted to go there because he told us that the Hotel had a very bad reputation. Nancy decided we would go and check it (after all they said the same in Prague), anyway, we had a very quick drink and went back to the Park.

Very early next morning we decided to a make a quick getaway and make the long drive North to Napier in Hawkes Bay. Having looked though the books we decided we would make our dinnertime stop at the Mount Bruce Wildlife Centre which has been set up to breed and nurture endangered NZ animal and bird species. Nancy was fascinated (as was l) with the rain forest and how well they had organised the centre. Althought it was quiet we did mange to have a good look round. We felt it was a little disappointing in that althought they had lots of avairies we didn't see many birds. Because of time constraints we had to leave a little earlier than we had planned and missed the opportunity to feed the eels but perhaps another time.

As we moved North we felt increasingly warmer and we started to remove more and more layers of clothes. Believe it was really nice and sunny and warm. It was at this point we got the text from Liz who was obviously having a good time in the pub at home on a cold, dark and damp Saturday night in Carlisle. This doesn't sound fair but we just could think of a more contrasting situation, with our sunshine and sun on a beautiful Sunday afternoon.

As we drove into Napier l could not help but think Jack would love this. We were passing miles and miles of vineyards whose names he would know, and have savoured. You would just feel this urge to just turn off and sample some of the wines. Perhaps tomorow.

The next day Nancy and l were offered a job in Napier. More of this later





Advertisement



Tot: 0.112s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 8; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0524s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb