Wellington to Picton Ferry Ride


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Wellington
February 14th 2008
Published: February 25th 2008
Edit Blog Post

KaitakiKaitakiKaitaki

That's my ferry.
The ferry from Wellington in the North Island of New Zealand to Picton in the South Island (or vice versa) is noted as being one of the most scenic ferry rides in the world. Hence, I was quite interested in checking it out. This blog entry covers that short journey.

It is a three hour ride. The first hour takes you from Wellington out into Cook Strait (the body of water that separates the two islands), its an hour to cross Cook Strait, then its another hour once in the channel through the Marlborough Sounds into Picton.

You can see one island from the other, as they are really not that far apart : some 14 nautical miles separates the two islands at their closest point.

There wasn't much sun for a majority of this ferry ride, and that made for some poor photo quality, but hopefully these will give you a sense of the scenery along the ride.

I pretty much stayed up on the Sun Deck, deck 10 for the entirety of the trip. That day it would have been more aptly termed the Wind Deck as it was really windy up there for a majority of the journey across Cook Strait and even some of the time in the fairly sheltered Marlborough Sounds. At one point, I was worried that if I turned my head, the wind might rip my glasses off my face. There were plenty of places up on that deck to get out of the wind though.


Additional photos below
Photos: 98, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Interesting retractable BowInteresting retractable Bow
Interesting retractable Bow

This is how vehicles get on board the ship when the ship is parked in Wellington. In Picton, they use the opposite end of the ship for vehicle [un]loading.
No one allowed past that pointNo one allowed past that point
No one allowed past that point

You can also see the helicopter landing pad in the yellow painted area.
Six DecksSix Decks
Six Decks

I stayed mostly up on the Sun Deck, deck 10. Probably better named the Wind Deck.
Cows On BoardCows On Board
Cows On Board

These guys were looking pretty thin. Don't know why, but I hope they were being transported over to the South Island for some fattening up. These guys were pretty funny in that they tried to arrange themselves to see what the humans were doing.
Eatery On BoardEatery On Board
Eatery On Board

This is a big ship after all.
Loaded up with VehiclesLoaded up with Vehicles
Loaded up with Vehicles

That's right, the ship was supposed to depart Wellington at 8:25am, but was 75 minutes late in departing. They kept allowing vehicles on board. At this point, departure was going to be fairly soon.
Under WayUnder Way
Under Way

With the mooring lines retracted, the ship very quietly backed away from the dock and we were off.
Wellington WaterfrontWellington Waterfront
Wellington Waterfront

That is Westpac stadium on the right there. Where they appearantly play Cricket/Bowling as well as Rugby.
Looking East of Downtown WellingtonLooking East of Downtown Wellington
Looking East of Downtown Wellington

The airport is roughly on the other side of that mountain there.
Wellington WaterfrontWellington Waterfront
Wellington Waterfront

From a little further away.
First look into Cook StraitFirst look into Cook Strait
First look into Cook Strait

Through that opening ...
Passing FerryPassing Ferry
Passing Ferry

The first of three that we would encounter on the three hour ride.
Western side of opening to Cook StraitWestern side of opening to Cook Strait
Western side of opening to Cook Strait

Won't be long now until we are in open water.
Eastern side of opening to Cook StraitEastern side of opening to Cook Strait
Eastern side of opening to Cook Strait

Going to be getting quite windy up on top soon.
First sighting of the South IslandFirst sighting of the South Island
First sighting of the South Island

Just left of the land you can clearly see on the right, which is the Southern edge of the North Island.
Southern Island Straight AheadSouthern Island Straight Ahead
Southern Island Straight Ahead

The channel we are looking for is somewhere along that stretch.
Southern Edge of the North IslandSouthern Edge of the North Island
Southern Edge of the North Island

A little further West and South.


Tot: 0.117s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0885s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb