Catching up with the Bardsley Family


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Wellington
February 17th 2008
Published: February 18th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Friday 15th
Flight was with Sounds Air and was $61 with Magic, a whole $2 more than the ferry! The ferry was due to get in 415pm, but after waiting an hour for our flight, everything was stowed in the hold and we grabbed one of 12 seats... Think the more spectacular scenery may have been on the other side of the plane but never mind - still some nice views from my side, and thankful the weather was so good. Plane ride still a bit bumpy, especially as we landed in 'the windy city', but we were soon down/off with luggage and found the Airport Flyer stop easy enough. Wasn't entirely sure what my stop looked like, but it soon became obvious. Hadn't realised that the Hutt Valley is a whole nother city, pretty large (NZ definition of a city is 35,000+ population). Wandered around for 20 minutes looking for a phone, then rang Jacqui (Andrew's wife), who said she'd be along in about 20 minutes, so then tried to sort out what I need to do for my Qantas flight, and just made it out in time. Met Georgia (youngest) in the car and by the evening had met Tessa, Courtney and Katie (ascending ages). Very relaxed evening with a lovely meal and nice chat before sinking into a comfy non-bunk bed - bliss!

Saturday 16th
Spent most of the morning trying to clear out some emails, and planning what remains of my trip whilst Andrew/Jacqui were in a resident's meeting. Early lunch, and then into the city. We head for Te Papa, which has its 10th anniversary today. Beautiful classical music on, and I go into the earthquake house, to feel what it's like in this city (country!) where everyone is used to regular earthquakes - most harmless. Head out to check out the Pacifica festival, although it's raining, where there's a good drum session going on somewhere. Katie wants to see the Indonesian music so we head back in, but we're not impressed, especially when some singing like a strangled cat starts up. Outside there's bagpipes which Andrew is not impressed by so soon we're back at the house, where I get some more time to relax. After an early dinner Andrew and I are collected by Ross and taken to the golf driving range. 200 balls later I think I've hit the car once, and definitely improved from complete no-knowledge novice, to hitting some straight/high balls. Back to the house to watch Bewitched - I wasn't going to, but I wanted to see if it had improved on the last time I watched it (not much!), before another good nights sleep.

Sunday 17th
Andrew had offered me the chance to drive his car this morning, as they had to be at church early. Not convinced that having not driven for 5 months, never really driven an automatic/in New Zealand, that taking responsibility for driving a strange car with 4 girls in the back was best plan, so Jacqui came back for us 945. We were all ready, and arrived at Lower Hutt Baptist for the morning service. Good singing, good thoughts on remaining teachable and a 'sermon' from an academic on his reading material on sabbatical - some thought provoking options. After lunch (hot shop pies!) Andrew needed to go into work, so Jacqui, Tessa, Georgia and I went for a wander round Wellington centre (found my Psychologies magazine again!), and then back to Te Papa so I could go to the Ephemera exhibit - interesting but very bizarre. Headed back past the Queen Victoria, in on her maiden voyage. After tea, Courtney and I are dropped off at church where Katie has been practising all afternoon - it's the monthly area youth service - amazing to see 300 youngsters all packed in - I'm one of the few who is over 20 probably! A real youth service - plenty of loud, but thoughtful, songs, a sermon which involved drama, music, film clips, and input from many there. Enjoyed it, and we were picked up a couple of hours later, where I settled down to watch Amazing Grace with Andrew and Jacqui. Sorted a few more hostels on the internet and to sleep!


Additional photos below
Photos: 35, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



Tot: 0.083s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0464s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb