A touch of the 1930s


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Napier
February 19th 2008
Published: February 18th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Monday 18th
Andrew dropped me off in town shortly after 7am, head into Downtown Backpackers to wait - can see the bus outside. Bus due to leave 745, by about 720 check and see the driver is onboard, so can go get rid of my bags, and grab the front seat. Today we have James as a driver - turns out to be a little mad! After quite a long time driving round collecting in Welliigton, we're on our way out through some picturesque countryside, which becomes a bit lost in the mist & rain.

We get a good stop-off at the Mount Bruce wildlife centre, where there's an option for a walk or breakfast - opt to go and see the Tuatara and a real kiwi (not stuffed!), before grabbing a quick toasted sandwich, thinking lunch is ages away. Half-hour later we're at the Tui Brewery for our lunch/beer stop. Can have 3 pints for $2.. In 45 minutes. Yurie and I share a ticket and leave the 3rd drink. Find a t-shirt for $11 - good to have enough to not have to do laundry all the time!

By 3ish we've arrived in Napier. No one wanted to do the wine tasting en route (aside from maybe me, and I have my dive medical so not sure that such a good plan), hence the early arrival. Therefore have time for a bit of a wander with Yurie before my dive medical. Arrive early, but don't have my form, so we find in my email account. Height, blood pressure, weight, etc with the nurse before I see the Dr ($60). Checks ear, nose, throat and heart rate. Finds have a water-borne ear infection which have probably had since Thailand, otherwise am passed. Go to grab my prescription before finding the supermarket, filling up, bump into Yurie, head back for supper/internet/reading/sleep.

Tuesday 19th
Looooong sleep, up in time to go into the centre then head to the Information Centre for the Art Deco Guided Tour, now $14, rather than the Magic advertised $10. Our guide is from the Netherlands, relaxed, entertaining and informed. Interesting tour, pointing out lots of unique features - yes, I could have done it on my own with the booklet for $5 but more interesting this way! Finish off with a video at the Art Deco centre, before heading back through town to the hostel for my 1230 wine tour pick-up. They're early, so chuck everything down and straight back out again.

For Grape Escape, our host is Imogen. She's fun, informal but informative. There are 9 of us on the tour, 6 from London! Imogen has just finished travelling extensively, comes from a family with lots of wine industry interests/connections, and has worked in a number of vineyards in NZ and France. The tour is great fun, and I learn a lot as well as taste a lot. 8 wines at Moana Park (Ice Wine is beautiful - probably cost about GBP180 to get a case shipped over!), 3 at Sileni Estates (also some deli/choc tasting there), where we also have lunch. Onto Alpha Domus where we have about 11 wines, and I buy some Noble Selection fortified wine. Thought this was to be the last stop before the brewery, but I say I have no plans to try beers. Turns out no one does, so we go to Kim Crawford vineyard for our final stop. Try about 8 wines here - their Pinot Gris is the nicest red have had all day (others really stick to the mouth) - so guess I should look out for soft/aged reds for what I like! We head outside where we get cheese/wine/views to finish the day off - and try some of the Pinot Gris grapes from the vines!

After drop-off, head out to look at the fountain/statue of Pania on the Reef (Maori legend), floral clock and through the Centenniel Gardens. Head up the rather odd route to Bluff's Point, hoping for a view over the city, but it's over Hawke's Bay. Run into Peggy from former East Germany at the top and walk back with her (most East Germans were given western names as a sign of protest/freedom). She's staying at the Criterion, so get to look inside, before heading back to hostel for internet/food/chat/read/sleep.


Additional photos below
Photos: 76, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



Tot: 0.075s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 14; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0355s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb