Wellington


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Wellington
March 31st 2007
Published: March 31st 2007
Edit Blog Post

They call it windy Wellington and the weather was indeed less than lovely but the city itself is irresistibly charming with its hundreds of cafes spilling their fashionable kiwi executive type patrons onto the sidewalks carrying their coffee and morning snack of choice.

As the capital of New Zealand, Wellington is not only physically situated near the countries geographical center (at the southern tip of the north island), it is all a true center of art, culture and entertainment. The countries national museum, Te Papa (meaning container of treasures) holds a position of prominence on the water front and attracts thousands of visitors annually. Admission to the museum is FREE so I spent a few hours each day wandering through this massive and impressive exposition of NZ culture. The museum tells the story of NZ land, people and history through a series of innovative and interactive exhibits. There is an entire forest planted to showcase NZs plethora of plant species, documentaries of cliff jumpers and local artists and fossils of ancient species leftover from before the split up of Gondwana. You could spend a week and never see it all, but I wanted to! Not everyone agrees but I felt like Te Papa really solidified all the bits and pieces of NZ that I have learned and experienced during my time here.

During my four days in Wellington I stayed in an art deco hostel with dated facilities but definite style, went on a tour of the government buildings and meandered through the botanical gardens. I went to the movies, the bars and sipped coffees in at least 8 different cafes. On a Friday morning I walked to the train station across the street from my hostel and caught a bus to Taupo.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



9th April 2007

sister/aunt/mom
Emily- Happy Easter! I think you should buy a new pair of pants from the market place at the next quaint town you pop into! Then you can create your own sisterhood of the traveling pants blog...Something unique and comfy! I love your blog and your photography is quite impressive as well. Keep on treking! Love from your Aunt Wendy.

Tot: 0.091s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 12; qc: 57; dbt: 0.058s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb